Ok How many....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Soeren, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kg/lb............... equipment do you bring on a phototrip :smile:
    Søren

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Usually between 1 and 35 lbs.

3. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

1 pound per square inch of format, i.e. 5x7 gets 35 pounds of gear. 4x5 gets 20 pounds. Film is extra.

4. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    anywhere from 0 to over 100 lbs, depends on where I am going and what I plan on shooting!

Dave

5. George Losse

George Losse Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    as much as I can fit in the Jeep and sill use inside the Jeep. Never weighed it, just know it takes too many trips from the house and back to get it all loaded. Everytime I load up for a trip, I say I need to cut back on stuff going with me...... I say they same thing everytime I unload it when I get home too. But you can't use the equipment if its not with you.

6. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    About 45 pounds which I carry with me.

7. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ~6-8lbs or 2-4kilo's Camera and bag: ~3lbs and tripod: ~4-5lbs

Plus I will bring about 50 rolls of film per week of travel with 10-12 rolls on me at any given time.

The camera is a Mamiya 6, three lenses, a handful of filters, cable release etc.. The tripod is a manfroto 3021G with the 3055 ballhead.

I have taken the sinar with two lenses (75mm and 58mm), 4-5 graphmatics and the manfroto 3401 tripod and 3047 tilt head as well. This is probably in the 20lbs/10kilo range.

8. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I rent a 24 foot U-Haul and bring it all :D:D:D

9. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Since I have to travel by air, I take what I can carry on the airplane - 4x5 field camera, 3 lenses, QuickLoad holder, 35mm with one lens attached. Tripod, film holders and extra lens for 35mm go in checked luggage. Usually 2 to 3 boxes of QuickLoad film and 5 rolls 35mm - sometimes a box of cut film as well. Perhaps 40 lbs or so - I have to be careful, the max the airlines allow as carryon is 22 lbs.

10. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never weighed it and am afraid to. I wouldn't carry everything myself and my wife balks at carrying the little (I say!) that I won't. Where the going isn't too rough my Ruxxac cart is very useful. Where it is too rough for the Ruxxac I walk in, decide what I'll use, walk back out, and walk in with no more, sometimes less, that what's needed. My wife says that walking is good for me.

The most I've ever flown with was: Pelican 1500 with 2 Nikons, 2 283s, 5 lenses; Tundra Sea King 821 with Beaulieu 4008ZM2 and 5008S-MS, their zooms, 4 prime lenses, filters, ...; 30v battery belt (home brew, 15 2v lead acid cells) with spare cells to make charging easier; tripods; Omni Light; 40 rolls of S8 film, much 35 mm still.

I carried all but the tripods and the Omni on board. This on a trip to Paraguay in 1992. Those were the days! I can't imagine being allowed to take the battery belt near a plane nowadays.

11. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anywhere from 1lb (Zeiss Ikon Nettar or similar) to 30lb (full 4x5 outfit). The 4x5 rarely goes walkies which me up any steep hills (or more than a mile or so on the flat) - a job at which the Nettar excels...

Cheers, Bob.

12. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always try to take only the absolutely "necessary" material, but it seems I always end up taking everything:smile::smile::smile:!

Cheers

André

13. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My "package" of equipment always is the same and all travels with me in the car. It's about 150lbs/68Kg.

Now don't get me wrong, i don't try to carry all that crap. if i must backpack in somewhere it's about 45 lbs. but thats a much more restrictive set of tools, and only what i think will be needed. And i only shoot 4x5 for what thats worth.

Pete

14. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    25 lbs is usual for me. That includes the pack, all the photography stuff (6 holders - 2 lenses), rain gear, and a 9 lb tripod. In winter the pack gets heavier as the temperature drops.

Like Peter, I use only 4x5 :smile:

Murray

15. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last phototrip, about 0.2kg: Bessa-L with 21mm lens.

Next phototrip, probably about 80kg: 9 LF cameras from 6.5x9cm to 30x40cm, holders for all and more, two tripods (unless I find the third), about 20 lenses...

16. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I keep packing until my wife stops yelling and stands in front of the van with her arms folded....

In July that meant my 4x5 Crown Graphic with 8 film holders, my 124G, my Minolta X700 w/ two lenses and my 450 si with 1 lens, tripod, light meter, about 10 pounds of various film....Oh, and my son wanted to bring his manual 35 too...

...she made me go back and pack the digital camera, so that she could use something...hehehehe...

17. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I myself carry from 1kg (1 body and lens) to 20kg complete 35mm and MF gear.
    Søren

18. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My 4x5 kit including pack and film holders is 7kgs, and another 4 for the tripod (I swear it doesn't weigh that much!). I can get to some pretty good spots with that little weight.

My street walkabout kit consists of a Yashica TLR and a few rolls of film in my pockets, so less than 1kg.