ok, I didn't need it, but now I've got an F4s..

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by xtolsniffer, Apr 23, 2009.

1. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, it was my birthday and who could resist a mint boxed F4s? I hope my F100 and Fm3a don't get jealous :smile:
    I was expecting the autofocus on the F4 to be perhaps a tad slower than the F100 but I really can't tell the difference, mind you I almost always us MF Nikkors anyway, and for that I get matrix metering, mirror lockup, viewfinder shutter, vertical shutter release, a real cable release socket automatic AND manual film rewind (for those mid-roll rewinds to leave the film sticking out), aperture indication in the viewfind with manual nikkors and it's built like someone really cared about making it last. Whew!

2. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I miss my F4s. Sob..sob

3. jsouther

jsouther Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, its quite a machine. I'm an Olympus OM guy but I always wanted to use an F4s with some of the remaining Nikon lenses I had, especially the 105mm f1.8. Really balances well with that lens.

I bit the bullet on an ebay auction for one, later serial number and haven't looked back. Lately I've been playing with focus screens and thought maybe I should pick up another F4s... just to set up with my "U" screen. The F4s are indeed made to last!

Oh, and Happy Birthday! :smile:

4. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the Matrix Metering of my F4

5. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nonsense, of course you needed it :smile:

6. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congrats. I've owned at least six F4's. Am using my fourth one currently. Came up for sale last Xmas, and I immediately bought it back. Replaced the original MB-21 battery pack with the smaller MB-20 pack, though.

-J

7. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    As much as I love my F100, there are features as you've mentioned that the F4 is far superior at. Mirror lock up, 100% viewfinder, cable release socket, and it's built like a tank! I'm surprised that you found the AF comparable between the two. My F4's AF is so slow compared to my F100. Anyway, have fun with your new toy!

8. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with ya Xtolsniffer. Not on the birthday thing but on the "new" F4S. I'm sitting here now trying to figure out how it works with the SB-28 KEH just delivered... Stay tuned, this will definitely require a new thread. Oh man do I have questions....

Happy Birthday!

9. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Funny...I was actually wanting an FM2 and I found an F4e and accessories at a price I couldn't turn down.

I'm really glad I got it. Sure it's heavy, but it's well built, solid and so well thought out. Matrix metering even with old lenses...manual rewind...mirror lockup...and an actual shutter speed knob!

I've owned FM2's, F90x's, and a glorious F5. But this is a great choice, if you're going to shoot 35mm.

10. Java

Java Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon F4s I think is the best handeling camera of the last 20+years.

Bought mine yonks ago and just recently got an M20 battery pack for it so using it more.

Now allI need is an F, F2, F5 and F6 to make a complete set :D

11. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife is getting a little concerned now, of course I NEED the FM, FM2n, FM3a, F3HP, F100 and now F4s but it's getting harder and harder to justify it, especially since the wardrobe they now live in is also occupied by two RB67's...
    I'd like to get hold of an MB20 battery pack as I do some very high magnification macro with a converted Olympus bellows and Zuiko macro lenses, but the MB21 pack is too big to fit between the camera mount and bottom rail of the bellows, but there don't seem to be many MB20s about.

12. Java

Java Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got mine on Flea Bay from someone here in the UK but I think Greys Of Westminister have one (they did a few weeks ago) but it will be £125.

13. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I could help you with the F5 if you're seriously thinking of getting one. :smile:

14. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I miss my F4 too. And now I lost my hammer and I need to hang a new painting to the wall.:D
    F4 forever!

15. namke

namke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another newcomer to the F4s here... got a 'used' F4s on eBay just over a month ago. There are scratches on the bottom of the MB21 and rubbing off of some of the white text, but it appears basically sound.

Fantastic handling camera, but I can't seem to get the hang of the AF (seems to 'miss' on the first attempt, and then usually locks on Ok - both with the 70-210 f4-5.6 and the 50mm f1.8 AFD). It's my first AF SLR, but I wonder whether there's something amiss (AF sensor needs cleaning perhaps)?

16. Java

Java Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends what you are trying to focus on.

The F4 have a single point AF system which I think is bang in the middle of the screen. So if you are trying to focus on something with little contrast, or a shiney surface, then the AF will struggle to lock on first time.

Like wise if you trying to focus through glass, sometimes it will struggle tryingto focus throu it.

Also check what you AF setting is, on the (looking from the front of the camera) there is a switch on the lower left hand side of the lens mount. Check it is not set to 'C' as this is continuous focus for trackoing a moving object. Make sure it is set to 'S' single shot. THe other one is 'M' manual switches the AF off. :D

17. namke

namke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the reply - up until recently all I've had was an MF 28mm lens, so I am aware of the 'M' setting :D

Mainly the focus is good - although it's interesting that in some cases I can use continuous-mode and the focus tracks to a certain object - when I then release the shutter and re-focus on the same object, focus is lost (since the camera has focused once, I would expect it to be able to do it again!)

Never mind - I'm testing the (new to me) 50mm f1.8 lens here at my desk at work :surprised:, so lighting isn't optimal!

18. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, tempt me with another Nikon body. I will have borrow my brother's and find out what the fuss is all about.

19. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    “I was expecting the autofocus on the F4 to be perhaps a tad slower than the F100 but I really can't tell the difference, mind you I almost always us MF Nikkors anyway, and for that I get matrix metering, mirror lockup, viewfinder shutter, vertical shutter release, a real cable release socket automatic AND manual film rewind (for those mid-roll rewinds to leave the film sticking out), aperture indication in the viewfind with manual nikkors and it's built like someone really cared about making it last.”

You also get an interchangeable viewfinder.

20. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh how I lusted for the F4 when they were introduced. I put myself into debt when I got my F3, but I never regretted it. To me, moving up from an F3 to the F4 was like moving from a Benz to a Rolls. But, I simply couldn't afford it at the time, I was in college, paying my way by working in my uncle's dry cleaning shop. After college was 6 years in the Army, and a long break from photography.

A couple of years ago I came back to photography when I bought a Nikon D70s. Digital was new territory for me, but I was attracted to it's convenience. I moved to Japan, and practically wore out the D70. Then, last month I picked up the old Wista 45 camera and jumped into large format film photography with both feet.

Since then, I've been prowling the used camera shops around Shinjuku, and I've been amazed at the amount of used gear they carry, not to mention the prices (which are much below American Ebay prices). Last week I visited one such store, and they had an entire shelf of old F4 bodies. The prices were 10k yen each, or $100 a pop... I grabbed one, and I also picked up manual 50~300 ED zoom which they also had for $500.

I haven't had a chance to use the F4 yet, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

21. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of my top three favorite cameras. Mine came with a pair of MB20 grips, one really foul, the other nearly new. I love this camera in its small configuration. It's a joy to use, once I figured out all the damned interlocks!

22. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's OK, I have four of them I may even get a 5th this summer when I travel to SE Asia.

Regards, Art.

23. namke

namke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    oooh - I'm hankering after an MB20 to streamline my F4s. However, on eBay, they all seem to cost more than I paid for my F4s! So I'm still looking... no hurry really, just G.A.S. :smile: