OK, the Zion FREE Workshop is set in concrete!

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by per volquartz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It will take place in Zion from Monday January2 through Friday, January 6.
    It appears that we will be a good size group and as usual we should all have a great time!

If you have not notified me that you want to participate please do so ASAP!

I have lost count of how many Free Workshops we have had by now - my guess is 15 or 16?

During 2006 we will have 3 Free Workshops, the first one in Zion in January. The next Free Workshop will (as usual) take place in Joshua Tree National Park January 27-28-29. The last Free Workshop of the year in October is still up for grabs! Owens Valley? Yosemite? Or? If you have ideas for a great location please email me!

volquartz(at)volquartz.com

2. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You need to sign up right away!!!

The Workshop / Gettogether is filling fast.
    Start 2006 in one of the most inspiring places on Earth: ZION!
    Email me at volquartz(at)volquartz.com

Attached Files:

3. haziz

haziz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about holding some in the Northeast?

Coast of Maine?
    Arcadia in the fall (Color and B&W)?
    Rural New England in late Spring/Summer?

I am thinking Northeast since I live here and would rather not fly/drive. I am pretty sure Florida would also function as a great destination.

Sincerely,

Hany.

4. ShawnKielty

ShawnKielty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Info for the Pioneer Lodge

Hi -- I know that you want to use the thread. However -- I need to make sure I get this info to some specific folks that demonstrated there interest in staying at the Pioneer Lodge. Unfortunately -- it doesn't look like there will really be a break unless we get up to twelve rooms -- in which case we would get a room for free. Additionally -- it appears that they will be upgrading the cheaper rooms during this time -- and so only deluxe rooms will be available at $89.

I won't really be able to make reservations for anyone -- because they will want your credit card to hold the room. So if you want to stay there -- please make your own reservation, and let them know you are in the Free Zion Workshop. Since only 3 or 4 people were interested -- I doubt that we will reach the 12 room barrier. I personally have enjoyed my stays there -- and will perhaps stay there again. I like the pie the best.

It might be interesting to find out if one of the bigger hotels might give us a break -- this could be really good if they also have a meeting room.

Shawn

5. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Best Western has rooms for $65. I do know of a big house with 9 bedrooms that can be rented for that time for $250 a night.

6. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    LOL! 9 bedrooms eh? Hilldale? Colorado City?

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about someplace close enough to Texas I can drive to it? :smile:

Can't make the other 2, but maybe I'll be able to go in October...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  8. ShawnKielty

ShawnKielty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    El Rio

I think Claire meant for this originally to go to all of us -- So I am responding.

Claire

Hi -- I saw a photo I believe you shot for Sunset Garden -- nice work.

I never cared that much -- last time I was in Springdale with Per we stayed at some rv place and the guy was kind of insulting (to me- but not anyone else as far as I know)-- so I moved down the street to the pioneer. It's a long story. I'd rather stay somewhere with good darkrooms. I do like the pie however.

The El Rio is run by John -- and he has just ten rooms -- which are $39 each -- so he has the deal.. He doesn't have any meeting facilities but the number is

995 Zion Park Blvd
    Springdale, UT
    Phone: 4357723205

I think that he might be the cheapest in town

Claire also points out a free campground -- but I'll be staying indoors -- since it was a bit cold last year at New Years time. See Below.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:53 PM
    To: shawnkielty@earthlink.net
    Subject: Re: About Zion ...

Why don't you try the Del Rio Motel in Springdale? I stayed there several years ago and the room was $39.00--and it was clean and comfortable. For those of you who don't know this, there is a free camping area along the Virgin River between the towns of Virgin and Rockville. Ask at the Zion Visitors' Center and they will give you directions.

Claire Curran

9. ShawnKielty

ShawnKielty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just a brief note abot the best western -- that may be a very good choice because they may have a meeting room as well -- and frankly -- if it rains -- we're going to need some indoor space. -- they are big enough to handle the whole group and possibly give us a discount

Shawn

10. ShawnKielty

ShawnKielty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Organ Pipe Cactus NM
    Carrizza Plain NM
    Lake Tahoe
    Mono Lake
    Flagstaff AZ --
    Las Vegas NV
    Manhattan
    San Juan Islands
    Seattle -- Puget Sound and Vancouver Island
    Banff
    Glacier
    Jellystone
    Jackson Hole

Guess what those are?

11. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Places where the waitresses are super cute?

Places you were banned from?

(all in fun Shawn :smile: )

12. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Terrace Brook across the street from the El Rio has rooms very close to the same price. Problem with both is no phones, and no meeting rooms. The Big Chief is the next in line price wise. The Best Western ahs 2 large meeting rooms with a big open area between them. The Driftwood has two rooms that are huge with dark closets that could work as a temp darkroom. The campground between Springdale and Rockville is on private land and closed last year. There is a space on the way out to Grafton but all you have is a place to park and dirt. There are three campgrounds, the National park one in side the park. The one you guys stayed at last year. And the one near Virgin about 15 miles from Springdale. The one in Virgin is more an RV park and will with vacancy allow tents and such. The rest of the places are expensive even in the off season. YOu have several B&B's and if you go to the east side there are several Dude Ranches that would have cheaper rates.

No Jim, the house is owned by a guy who has too much money and stays there maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Since I spend 3 to 4 days a week tramping through the area, I might be around when you get here. Zion is after all just a 20 minute drive away for me.

13. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey, if this workshop is Zion-Free, then where is going to be held?

-R

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Joshua Tree is next!!!

January 27-28-29

16. jansengunderson

jansengunderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've spent the last few years in Zion during New Years Eve and either camped near Grafton or stayed at the Best Western. The Bit & Spur is directly across the street from the Best Western and they have live music on NYE if anyone is interested in that sort of thing and they're usually one of the only restaurant open that time of the year.

Where/when is everyone meeting up?

17. jansengunderson

jansengunderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    oh and I almost forgot... Some of my old college buddies run a Westfalia campervan rental company and rent their vans out of Salt Lake City. It's their off-season so they might be into cutting deals for anyone interested. Just mention my name ;-)
    Their website is: westernroadtrips.com

18. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just got back from having dinner with Dave Wooten In Springdale. The only resturants that are closed are the small ones that are more fast food (which in Springdale means faster than homecooked) type places. Also the Burp and Slurp ( Bit and Spur) is closed except for weekends and special holidays. I tremember that place as the greasy spoon diner/pool hall when I worked at the Lodge at Zion back in the 70's. Its come a long way since then to be a high toned resuturant. All the places to eat connected to the motels are open. If you are worried about costs go tot he Terrace Brook motel. They have the big family sized units that have two bedrooms, living room and kitchen set up. You could get 6 peoplein one unit and share the expenses and still have a kitchen to cook in. Just buy your food at either Lins or the Farmers market near Hurricane. The two stores in Springdale are extremely expensive and you will pay double if not triple for your food supplies. BIG HINT the Farmers market which is right at the intersection to take you up on the platuea going to Zion, has a special deal going on. Purchase $50 worth of food at the store or what ever they carry, and you get 15 cents a gallon off on your gasoline at their Sinclaire station at the end of the parking lot. Bring your film and other things you would need. Should you run out the closest place to purchase LF film is either Kanab or Las Vegas. Kanab which is less than an hours drive away to the East of the park carries Ilford.

19. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We got a great deal!

$49 per room. Each room has 2 queen size beds.

Email me at volquartz@volquartz.com to obtain information and reservation code.

I will be emailing more details to everyone on Monday!

It will be fun! AND there is a bit of ice inside the canyon already!!!

20. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No ice in the canyon I just got back from trying to chase clouds. It is 51 degrees in the park. The big mountain near here is Pine Valley and it is currently getting a bit of snow at the top. Brianh3ead ski resort didn't open last weekend for lack of snow, but in the past two nights got enough to open today, but that is a lot higher than any of the peaks of Zion. You have to go up on Cedar Mountain to find any good snow or ice. It is raining quite heavily at the moment.

21. jansengunderson

jansengunderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  22. Wilbur Wong

Wilbur Wong Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, on my list of places, I could second Banff (Canadian Rockies), Jackson Hole (Tetons). Can we add Oaxaca? Actually Manhattan would be very different from what I normally try to shoot. The Pickwick arms has rooms from 120 or so a night on 51st street. I think I would put my head under a darkcloth only with someone watching my backside.

23. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

24. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If the weather holds...

- there WILL be ice in the canyon, along water runs off, at the edge of the river, along creeks, on rocks, perhaps on trees as well.
    IF the weather holds...

It was 22 degrees a few mornings ago inside Zion Canyon.

We have special (VERY INEXPENSIVE) room rates at the Zion Park Inn
    (A Best Western Motel).

If you want to make a reservation please email me so I can give you the discount code!

volquartz@volquartz.com

I will be emailing everyone who is planning to participate - giving details about itinerary, what to bring, etc... So if you want to come but have not responded yet please do so ASAP ...

25. TStodPhoto

TStodPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Per and everyone.....I will not be able to make it to the Jan workshop but definitely up for the october workshop... I had a great time this year and look forward to seeing you all again in the very near future... Its been a rough go since I been home.... Trying to fix my house after hurricane wilma... and process film and trying to stay sane..... I did loose my neighbor who let me use a spare room as my darkroom ... sorry to say he past away from a heart attack suddenly 2 days before thanksgiving..... he will dearly missed by me and my family... i need some addresses so i can send out when i have some prints ready to share with everyone from this trip.... its been crazy in florida and still not back to normal.... take care everyone and remember Matt watch out for the deer.... LOL... have a great day Ted

26. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ted, good to hear from you. I hope things will return to normal for you down in gatorland soon.

And yeah...my truck should be out of the body shop this week. Almost totaled by insurance standards...

You should definitely post some of your images from this past workshop.
    Take care, Matt

I'm going to ZION for a few days at least.