Ok to use digital if you are a member of apug?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Markok765, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am just wondering, it it ok to own and use a digital camera if you are a member of apug, as long as you dont talk about it on APUG?

I think it is ok to use one,
    What do you think?

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    of course it is , however, apug is deciated to analog , traditional photography, so we don't discuss digital issues here.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As Ann said, lots of us shoot some digital, maybe even mostly digital, but we discuss it elsewhere.

4. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are times when I would use nothing other than a digital camera: Newspaper images of houses for sale ... "Lost Cat" posters ... images in a Digital Photography Class ... there must be more. The SUBJECT here is "Film" - for want of a better description ... "Analog".

We do not have a police force. If anyone uses a digital camera.... It is FINE with me.... no one will appear to arrest anyone. You are also free to use a paint brush, or pencil, or chisel, or cello, or ...

BTW - THe galleries are for "analog" images, and I would NOT post digital "stuff".

5. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't see why it would be a problem to own and use a digital camera. They make great bookends.

- Randy

6. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Many people are terribly threatened by the possibility that somewhere, someone is having a good time

7. Sportera

Sportera Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Of course its ok. I have a digital too, I just don't discuss it here and I don't post anything I have taken with it here either. Just respect the rules of the forum, and have fun

8. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think many people here do both. The problem is practically every other photography site on the internet is nearly 100% digital. I have been asked "you STILL shoot film?" more times that I care to remember. This is one place where you won't be chastised for shooting some TMX in your Mamiya once in a while. There are plenty of sites to discuss "the other camera".

Doug

9. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks,
    I was thinking, in my mind:
    I dont like it a lot thought, viewfinder is smaller than my holga

10. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will make hair grow on your palms...

11. bruce terry

bruce terry Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That stuff is weird and way too convenient and inundating and commercial ... and fast:

My recently-retired cousin with absolutely NO photographic background whatsoever thought she could do a 2007 calender of her quaint little shore town - so back in May-June she took hundreds of electric snaps (with a pretty good iPhoto eye), picked her best 13, had 1500 calendars knocked-out, and half her initial order is already gone.

She now thinks her filmy anal-log cousin slightly helpful, but a lot odd.

Bruce

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marko, we have to remove your membership from APUG for saying that, brand you with a "Traitor" burn on your forehead, dunk you in hot gelatin, and roll you in silver fluffs for such an offense. You must understand that this is for YOUR good, of course.

Thank you for choosing APUG, and remember that your post may be recorded for insuring quality control.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do that, and *I* will pay you a visit , with my friends from the Longshoremen's Union, Vito and Nunzio... complete with their black ties.

Care to reconsider that last response?

16. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marko,

In reality, you can do pretty much anything you want to and your parents will allow you to do...

Dave

17. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think its ok to use both, they all have their pros and cons of use. For example if I am taking a picture for the web to put up of my film cameras, I would really appreciate it if people didnt try to rip me to shreds because I shot a picture of a film camera to post up on the web with a digital in a sense gratifying the presense of film on the internet. Basically comes down to, I'm just getting a picture of the camera, its not a peice of art i'm trying to shoot, or for print, or something I want to shoot 1 frame on a roll and run and get it developed. Thats the only aspect of the digital usage in showing off my gear here on apug that I think some people on apug just need to back the **** off on.

Use the tools thats appropiate to you, and stay true to what you love to use.

Far as the forums, as said above some of us do shoot digital as well, but we keep the forum's content primarily film if not at least completely.

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might get into trouble for this...

Marko, you are thirteen years old, and you appear to have access to a lot of different eqipment, including digital.

My advice is to try everything and anything you can.

You should shoot little films, you should shoot big films, you should shoot movie films.

You should try pinholes, you should try photograms, you should try lith film.

You should shoot black and white and colour, print and transparency, panchromatic, orthochromatic and infrared.

If you can, try some of the alternative processes.

You should try old cameras, new cameras, and homemade cameras too.

Go ahead, shoot digital too - try everything.

Don't just dabble, or flit from medium to medium. Approach the search carefully, and with the goal of learning as much as you can about the choices available, and the choices that appeal to you.

Be open to any experience that may give you insight and joy. If you get more insight and joy from strictly digital work, I'd be surprised, as would most of us on APUG, but so be it.

If you are open to all alternatives, and pursue this exploration carefully, and seriously, you will most likely find what you are looking for. Just remember, if it turns out to be digital, we don't want to hear about it here.:D

Have fun with your search.

Matt

19. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but do it quietly and wash your hands afterward.

20. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    By necessity, I do a fair amount of the D stuff. Pure competition is why. Some clients need instantaneous gratification, hundreds of files, and are too unsophisticated to know the difference. I promote film with my clients, but some are young, sheeplike, impatient, poor organizers and planners, or have swallowed the marketing hype. I shoot their D projects, and take their money, and buy film.... I generally don't discuss it on APUG, except in specific reference, such as this.

I also don't discuss my toaster or washing machine, two other mundane machines that serve a specific purpose outside of photography, and are as incapable of producing photographs as the digigizmo.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
  21. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will fear my friends the MacDonald, O'Callaghan, O'Donohue, and O'Jeez. The Ashcan gang fear no mob in this battleground!

22. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Bjorke,

This is one of the most accurate statements I've seen anywhere is a very long time.

- Randy

23. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What the hell is the matter with you people..shooting digital? THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING.

24. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Really Claire?

25. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    She's right you know. Now drop your pants and prepare for spankin'.
    Hey, I use a Nikon D70 and a cellphone to take photos of my cat and things, I am a naughty, naughty boy...

26. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It, is, of course, perfectly ok to discuss using your digits to make real photos using metallic salts.