OK - You got the 4X5. Now what?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by lilmsmaggie, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lilmsmaggie

lilmsmaggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's an answer to this question somewhere but I just had to ask.

Once you have your 4X5, 5X7 or 8X10 system (camera body, lens, film holders, tripod, etc.), just how do you transport all this stuff? Most camera bags are designed with with smaller format cameras bodies in mind.

I'm primarily interested in how people transport and protect their 4X5 gear. Especially, those photographers that may need to hike from their base location (auto, tent, cabin, etc.) where ever that may be to their prospective shooting location.

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For 4x5: 1 alu case for the camera, one for the lenses, one for the filmholders
    For 8x10: one aditional alu case.
    Mmmmmmmm, that is for the Sinar P2 that I have, for the Shen Hao I don't know yet, I have not seen it, it is in Holland and I am in Brazil.

Peter

3. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a Tamrac Expedition 7. Handles everything from my SLR systems up to 4x5 (never tried to jam a 5x7 in there). A 2x3 Graphic will actually fit turned vertically. I've had it packed to about 30 lbs, at which point I find the harness isn't providing as much support as it needs. I've done a bunch of long hikes with it at around 25 lbs though. There's a slightly larger version but you need to decide what you really need and limit it.

Dan

4. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a 3 wheel jogging stroller. I like having all my toys with me, and all that LF gear is more than I want to carry.

5. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use one of the very large Pelican cases for the 4X5. It is large enough for everything except tripod. The 8X10 has a separate aluminum case for just the camera that was originally custom made for some sort of testing equipment. If I am going a short distance I can use the wheels on the case or or put the entire case on a hand truck depending on the distance and surface. If I am going farther I just take the items I want in a backpack. When I am away from the truck I leave the case padlocked and chained to the seat supports in the back seat of the truck.

6. lilmsmaggie

lilmsmaggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Such an eclectic assortment of gear to tackle the same problem. A jogging stroller! - who would have thought.

Peter, case management must be fun for you ... are they color-coded (green case for holders, blue for lenses)? I think if I had to haul more that two cases, I'd probably talk myself out of going.

7. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A Gregory Rock Creek internal frame pack that opens suitcase style, front zip, has been my go-to pack for mushing my stuff around for the past couple of decades. It's made of denser weave nylon than most packs use now. It's worn like iron and that's saying something becaus just out my door is the thickest scrubbiest wilderness of chaparral imaginable, which shreds most other packs quickly. I lined it with cut Ensolite foam that can be reconfigured for any of my gear from 35mm and now 4x5. The suspension system is excellent-- better than any large dedicated camera pack I've tried or seen. Have carried as much as 65 lbs of cameras, tripod and camping gear into the backcountry with it. Weighs maybe 2/3 what the purpose-built ones do.

8. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use just what you'd think. A back pack.

My old Osprey daypack is great for 5x4 and would hold bigger formats with ease. Holds the camera, my lenses (5 max), film holders (10 max), meter, filters, all the bits and pieces, all the way to 3 liters of water bladder with a sip tube, and the tripod/ball head fits easily on the back, one leg in each of the straps designed to hold skis. Nicely balanced and a suspension system to love. It's a joy to hike with.

If I'm fully loaded that's about 16Kg. I've taken this rig over some nice long hikes. The longest was from Yosemite Valley floor up the trail to Vernal Fall, then to the top of Nevada Fall and back to the valley floor. Took all day (literally about 15 hours) and I used up all 20 sheets of film in my 10 holders.

If you want to hike it in, use hiker tools and you should be fine. If I can do it, you can do it.

9. lilmsmaggie

lilmsmaggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah - an internal frame backpack sounds like it might be the ticket. I think I'd like to go with a muti-format type pack arrangement to hold both 35mm and 4X5 gear. Hopefully, a "goldilocks" balance of form and function. Not too much. Not too little --just right.

10. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just use a tripod ...... 5x4 monorail goes on tripod - tripod goes over shoulder !!
    Darkslides and extras go in a very small backpack.

Bill

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    my 4x5 ( speed ) goes in the fiber box (graflex)
    my series d slr goes in my tenba bag
    rail camera or 5x7 go in a tenba car case.
    i just lug stuff around to a place not far from my car ...
    and don't do hiking or fun stuff like that ...
    but if i did ...

http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

it is run by an appugger ( and sponser!! ) and they make great backpacks!
    i have bought things from bruce, the owner/appugger before
    he is a great person, and his products are well worth looking into.

12. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    @ lilmsmaggie: why do you think I bought myself a Shen Hao ?

Actualy all cases are diferent, I have most of my lenses mounted on Linhof Technika plates (nice and small), so that one is rather shallow.
    Before I leave the house I check every thing the day before, including the shutters.

Peter

13. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I've never travelled with my 4X5 but - have an old large LC1 army backpack with lots of pockets for storage. It has the frame, belt and lumbar supports. Veru comfortable all things considered.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For 4x5, everything but the tripod is in a Lowepro backpack. The tripod is usually on my shoulder.

16. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    3-wheeled jogging stroller. Camera in one case. Lenses in another case. Film holders in a shoulder bag. Tripod attached to stroller with two bungee cords.

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 5x4 goes in a backpack and travels many miles that way but when I'm actually shooting it stays on my tripod over my shoulder as I move about, unless I'm working hand-held.

The 10x8 camera gets carried by hand but all the ancillaries go in a backpack, if I can take an assistant all the better :D

Ian

18. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Identical to the description by Laurent, my 4x5, folded and strapped for security, is stowed in a LowePro Trekker AW in the space usually reserved for my second 35mm body and 2 lenses for same (can't take everything as it will be too much weight). The tripod is slung over shoulder and doubles as a walking staff when traversing rainforest terrain (very slippery) or when crossing rivers.

19. Thomas Wilson

Thomas Wilson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pelican cases for sure. They're more than worth their weight in camera gear. Either in the canoe, in my bike trailer, or by hand, with a shoulder strap for the tripod.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  20. lilmsmaggie

lilmsmaggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Such an inventive and resourceful group -- Way Cool!

--Thomas Alva Edison

21. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Film holders and lenses in a bag - 8x10 Sinar P with tripod still attached over the shoulder with bellows taped up against GG... Bit of foam to make it comfortable, once its balanced correctly I have 1.5 arms and 2 hands left free for emphatic gesticulation with the wildlife

If its raining I dont go

22. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My idea of a hike is from the darkroom to the computer. For photographing close to the road, a wheeled Sears Tool Caddy. It has room enough inside for a 5x7 Ansco View and everything else I need. The tray that goes in the top is for all kinds of small stuff. And an anti-skid top goes on that. Tripod is bungee corded to the top. The unit is solid enough so that this arthritis-plagued dinosaur can sit on top

23. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For 4x5: the camera (Zone VI), five lenses, six holders, light meter, filters, loupe, cable release and dark cloth all go into a Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW backpack. Tripod on the shoulder. Extra film holders, if necessary, go in the F64 film holder case.

For 8x10: the camera (Wehman), three lenses, three holders, light meter, filters, loupe, cable release and dark cloth all go into a F64 BPX backpack.

24. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Photobackpacker system for both 4x5 & 8x10. Great system and Bruce is a true gentleman as well (and Apug Sponsor)

Gary

25. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Couldn't agree more. It's an almost perfect system.

26. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok...

The Tamrac Cyberpak 6, meant for those digital folks, will carry everything from my Nikon stuff (with lots of extra room) to my 8x10 Deardorff, with enough associated equipment to provide amusement for several hours of photo taking pleasure. The main pack holds the camera, the space dedicated for the laptop holds three 8x10 (and many more smaller format) film holders, the front pocket holds meter, lens boards, loupe, t-shirt for dark cloth, and all filters. I carry the tripod either over my shoulder or with a strap across my chest. For smaller formats, it will carry way too much rb67 stuff. For the days I take out my Speed Graphic, a simple backpack carries all the stuff in relative safety.

tim in san jose