OK you master printers...give the titles of some really good books

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by gr82bart, Oct 24, 2005.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Especially on Split/Multi Contrast Filter Printing. I want to do it well. I suck at it, I just don't think I'm doing it properly or not getting the theory straight or both. I need books. Help!

Regards, Art.

2. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Les McLeans book is pretty good. Bruce Barnbaum's Art of Photography is also an excellent resource, which contains lots of good information on the entire process, including printing.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Les McLean's book especially for split-grade printing.

Also look at Ctein, _Post-Exposure_, 2nd ed., and if you don't already have the Adams trilogy, that's worth having too.

4. mark

mark Member

Tim Rudman has a good printing book. Not the lith one. Can't remember the exact title. Master printing something

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Also look for _Mastering the Black and White Fine Print_, which is special issue #11 of _Photo Techniques_.

6. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not that I am a master printer but "The Elements of Black and White Printng" by Carson Graves I believe to be the best book on printing.

7. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Les's book and "Way Beyond Monochrome" for a more technical approach including split-grade printing. These two books, I would say, are required reading for any printer: even decidedly non-masterful ones such as myself...

Cheers, Bob.

8. blackmelas

blackmelas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Another emphatic vote for Les's book. His method is the most simple and systematic way to get at split filter printing that I've read. When you are comfortable with his way then you are set to try other variations on the technique.
    Good luck,
    James

9. esanford

esanford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Get a copy of the video "Printing with Fred Picker".... It's long out of print, but often available on EBay.... Best instruction ever on printing... To the point, concise and demonstrative. If you really learn to print, you would only use split-grade as just one tool in the tool box....

10. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jumpingjuhosafax! You know, I actually have Les' book AND I have the Adams trilogy! I've had those books for ages, I forgot about them! LOL.

I'm also going to take a good look at the other recommendations.

Thank you so much, Art.

11. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You’re obviously the proud owner of a brain like mine. Now what did I come in here for? :confused:

12. RainerQ

RainerQ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The title of Tim Rudmans book is: The Photographer's Master Printing Course.

Rainer

13. Mark H

Mark H Member

"Creative Elements" by Eddie Ephraums has been a tremendous help to me in understanding the printing process as well as understanding how decisions are made to print in a certain way.

14. bgav

bgav Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Few months ago I also asked such question in the forum and I was suggested to read:
    1. Creative Black & White Photography by Les McLean http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-2108653-7903005?v=glance&s=books
    2. Way Beyond Monochrome by Ralph W. Lambrecht, Chris Woodhouse
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-2108653-7903005?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
    3. Larry Bartlett's Black and White Photographic Printing Workshop http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...73125/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/026-4585523-4374029
    4. Tim Rudman's http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1857324072/103-1130569-4539841?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

I ordered all four of them and found only position 3 answering to my expectations. 4 is also worth to have just as general reference. Books 1 and 2 i put on the farthest bookshelf just to never open it again.

Friend of mine also recommends http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_2/103-0406148-3135023?v=glance&s=books, but i cannot say anything about it.

15. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    not a book, but...

The last thing you (might) have to do is to go to other people's shows and take a close look at their work. Think about the lighting; for example, what kind(s) of light source, do they use for their displays?

It's important to check back and forth between your darkroom and other places like that, not to manupilate but just compare and learn to evaluate yours by yourself. You will learn the quality of your prints with your own eyes eventually. And I don't think any books really mention that.

Good luck.

16. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, since I was in the city today, I found a great book: The Master Printer's Workbook: A professional Guide to B&W Darkroom Techniques by Steve Macleod. Really great examples with very detailed technical explanations for each.

Art.

17. Daniel Lawton

Daniel Lawton Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm no master printer but I would highly recommend "Edge of Darkness" by Barry Thornton and "Way Beyond Monochrome" by Woodhouse and Lambrecht. Being relatively new to photography and darkroom work, these books were of immense help in modifying and tailor fitting my developing and printing methods. Unfortunately Barry Thornton passed away a couple of years ago but his book revolutionized the way I define image quality and it steered me away from my "ultra fine grained" image fetish and more towards acutance and sharpness. Along with help from APUG members I found that these two books allowed me to improve my printing methods in leaps and bounds.

18. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will give you the name of 2 good books. The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller...A must read book for the inspired darkroom worker...and Les Miserable by Victor Hugo...for consolation when everything in the darkroom seems to turn to dreck.

19. cvik

cvik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First of all, I am unfortunately no master printer (yet :smile:.

I find the book "The Master Printer's" by Steve Macleod to be a good one. It's not die-hard technical or anything but shows the image, a sketch and a some text on what was done to achieve the result. Between the images are also more text about the technique in general.

Content:
    1 darkroom planning and contruction
    2 film
    3 exposure and development
    4 film processing
    5 from film to contact sheet
    6 paper processing
    7 advancing from the basic print
    8 printed borders and keylines
    9 split-grade and flashing techniques
    10 print toning and toners
    11 lith printing
    12 the demise of the darkroom

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/28...8?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

20. stormbytes

stormbytes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Les Mclean - a worthwhile investment!

And... it's actually in (plain & simple) English!