Old C-41 chemistry question?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by stradibarrius, Feb 18, 2013.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have some "Film Pac" C-41 chemicals that I have had for several years. I have the developer, fixer, stablizer and the Bleach that has turned brown.
    My question is, could it be possible that some of these could still be good?
    Are any of the useful in B&W processing or should I just toss them and get them out of my way?

2. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are these powder or liquid?

3. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are liquid. Everything but the bleach is still clear and the bottles are sealed.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Is this concentrate or a working solution? If its a working solution it's certainly bad.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    it's concentrate in unopened bottles.

6. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If the fixer concentrate shows yellow precipitate, it's dead, otherwise you can most likely use it. Bleach should be red or green (depending on exact composition) and a solution (almost opaque). If you see brown precipitate, bleach is dead. The good thing about bleach and fixer is that you can test these with b&w film and that you can rebleach and refix negs in case of trouble.

7. lhalcong

lhalcong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been told by a photographic engineer that if unopened, sealed and kept properly they can outlast 2+ years after expiration. So chances are they are still good. Only one way to know.

8. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Is one part of the color developer in a glass bottle? The one part that is oxidation sensitive just doesn't like plastic bottles -- not gas-tight enough.