Old Chemistry

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Silvertooth, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Silvertooth

Silvertooth Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question. I think I no the answer, but thought I would get a second (or several) opinions. I have an old bag of Dektol with and expiration date of July 2007 and a bag of Kodak Fixer with an expiration date of April 2007. These have been stored in the dark in temperatures that have not exceded 85 F (power outage during a hurricane). Is the consensus that I should dispose of this or might it still be safe to use? I don't think I want to try it, but the cheapskate in me says to try it.

Thanks in advance,
    Aubrey

2. Andrew Kleinfeld

Andrew Kleinfeld Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    old bags of Dektol, Kodak fixer

I've used both, equally old, with excellent results.

3. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2007 isn't very old. 1977 is getting there. :smile: If the powder isn't caked in the bag or discoloured, and the Dektol mixes up to a vary pale beige or light tan, it should be good. The fixer should be white powder and mix up water white.

4. dmb

dmb Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It would be simple enough to make up a small amount of each next time you are printing. Test the developer with small strip of properly exposed paper and the fixer with a film leader for clearing time. This is the sort of test I always do with home brew developers and I keep a pot of film leaders in the darkroom to test clearing time,

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    as it's a print developer your not going to harm any negatives tesying and using it, it should ne fine.

Ian

6. Silvertooth

Silvertooth Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank You!

Thanks everyone. I may give it a try later this evening. Right now, it is time to go take advantage of the sunshine! Everyone have a great day.