Old film not a loss

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by LyleB, Oct 14, 2010.

1. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I accidentally amazed myself today. About 4 months ago, I brought in an old Pentax IQ Zoom P&S that I found out in my garage. It had been sitting on a shelf for a number of years. I popped in a new battery and the camera came to life, so I snapped off the remaining shots that were left on the film.

I figured the film was toast, since it had sat in the camera for a number of years, freezing in the winter (good), roasting in the summer (bad). I removed the film and set it aside.

Today, when gathering film to take in for processing, I mistakenly grabbed that roll instead of another that I intended to take. When I got the photos back, I was initially very confused, as I did not remember shooting the first few. When I came to shots of a vacation I had taken and an event I had attended, I was amazed. The colors were superb!!! This film had to be at least 14 years old since my nephew, who was on the vacation with me, was about 16 at the time. He just had his 30th birthday!!!!

I'm pretty certain this was Kodak Gold 200.

Guess I won't be writing off old film anymore.

2. juliette.steen

juliette.steen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Old/expired film is amazing to use in my opinion. During high school the photography department would sometimes get a box load of expired film the camera shop in town could no longer sell and so us photography students would raid the box. You're right, the colours come out superb, and I've only used film that's been expired for a couple of years, so film that 14 years old must look amazing!

3. WetMogwai

WetMogwai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Old film can be great or terrible, depending on lots of factors. I haven't had any old ones come out that great. Last year, I found a roll of 110 that was shot with one of those cheap cameras you got for sending in Kellog's box tops in the late 80s. That roll was about 20 years old. It was in an attic that gets roasting hot in the summer for half of that time. I had it processed and found it was almost completely black. They were able to make very poor prints from two frames.

4. Removed Account2

Removed Account2 Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If in doubt develop old color film B/W, its dead easy with Caffenol-C I use it all of the time.

thriFthy scandihoovian.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  5. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Erik, What ???

" thrithy scandihoovian " Translation Please ...

Are you drinking the Caffenol ?
    I guess, that's how Camera 7 got " misplaced ".

I'm Just Saying ...

Ron

6. Removed Account2

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I edited alredy, there was a little F missing in there, single letters are har to keep track of, remember your former vice-president that had trouble with the "e"s? potratoe, wasn't it?

thriFty scandihoovian, far too thrifty to drink his caffenol, at least until the films are developed and in the fixer!
    (hey there's an idea, the fixer.......)

:smile:)

7. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Erik, if I don't crack your nuggets who will ???
    Mrs. Prestmo ... or your mother-in-law ?

8. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found a roll of Kodacolor VR 1000 in the bag of camera gear I received the other day so I think I will just have to shoot it and see what it does.

9. Removed Account2

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ron I've had two M-I-L's didn't get along with the first, nor her daughter, but the second one is out of this world! She is the kindest woman in the world, after my now departed mother.

Angels walk on this earth.