Old FP4+ development hints

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by walter23, Feb 17, 2008.

1. walter23

walter23 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've picked up a ratty old full 50 box of FP4+ for basically nothing. The base is thicker than the current FP4+, it has only a single big U-shaped notch in the corner (instead of the code used on present FP4+), and came inside a waxy-feeling paper. The film sheets are separated by Kodak-orange coloured sheets of thin paper.

Now that I think of it, it might be FP4 and not FP4+ (I can't remember if I actually saw a +).

Any hints for development? Same as current FP4+?

I've loaded up 12 sheets in my frankencamera and I'm planning to use it for pinhole stuff.
    http://ashphotography.ca/zenphoto/cache/frankencamera/IMG_5283_small.jpg_700.jpg

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My times for FP3 :D and FP4 were the same, I used some FP4 in Peru last November and I didn't notice a +, but it must have been (just checked and it is the FP4+).

Usually the improvements in the emulsion make little difference to the speed & development times. Ilford mark the significant changes by renaming the product. Fuji do the same, Kodak are quite inconsistent. So Tri-X has changed very significantly over the years but no name change, while Tmax films are sort of rebadged.

So yes\same as FP4+

Ian

3. walter23

walter23 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Ian, I appreciate it. Saves me the hassle and wasted sheets from testing. For what I'm going to use it for I don't much care about zone system precision or anything like that.