Old Glycin- useable?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by keithostertag, Jan 12, 2012.

1. keithostertag

keithostertag Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought 100g of Glycin from the Formulary about two years ago and never got around to using it. I emailed them and was told it is only generally good for 6 months, and that one can tell by the color- brownish means its done-for. Well, I don't want to open it just to inspect it since that would expose it to light and air and moisture, etc.

I hate to just throw this out if it is useful at all to someone.

Anyone who is familiar with using Glycin and wants this can have it for $5 shipping (USA- NO Paypal!) Otherwise, it goes into the trash...

Keith Ostertag

glycin1.jpg

2. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My experience is NO. Glycin has a very, very short shelf life. I've made the mistake of buying a large jar of it once. In no time it went from light tan, to dark, earth colored powder. I used it to mix up a batch of paper developer, but it flat out didn't work. At least that's been my experience. I now buy it in small quantities when I want to use it. Photographers Formulary sells it in small bottle of 10 grams, which I usually purchase at B&H. Store it in the dark.

3. keithostertag

keithostertag Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, thanks for the confirmation (sigh...)

4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Storing in the freezer does extend its life some. So does making a large batch of Ansco 130. I've had the developer keep for over a year.

I would open the package and look before you toss it, or waste the money shipping it.

5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Keith,

Perhaps you may find it useful to review my experience with long-term storage of glycin powder?

Ken

6. Jed Freudenthal

Jed Freudenthal Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Glycin will desintegrate under oxygen. I use butane (campingas) to keep the oxygen from glycin. In this way glycin can be used for years.

Jed

7. keithostertag

keithostertag Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, seems we have a range of opinions...

I just opened it.

Brown.

Tossed.

Thanks for your replies.

Keith Ostertag

8. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I'm not too late... old glycin CAN make a warmtone print dev. I've taken VERY old glycin (looked like Hershey's instant milk powder) and made it into Ansco/Agfa 130. The prints came out with a brown tone. Good for certain shots; womens portraits, old buildings, anything you might want warm.

9. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have old glycin
    under the kodak name of athenon
    probably from the early 70's if not 60's

I used some about 2 years ago to make a glycin only film developer
    It developed the film and the film was actually pretty sharp. Sharper than d23 and I think xtol also using a handheld microscope to judge
    very warm toned brown, though. I never printed them. I think I recently threw those film dev. test negatives out

I tried using some recently as a glycin only print developer
    NOTHING
    don't know.
    try a different jar one of these days

10. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boy my experience with old glycin in paper developer was a total fail. It just didn't work. Good thread this, learned a few things.

11. resident K

resident K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im using old glycin from 70`s and 80`s and it works fine(I tried film develepers with glycin,for example, FX-2 and also paper ones)
    The powder looks rather oxydized and coloured and developer filtered have yellowish(yellow)colour, but all works. HAve some powder from 60`s but have not tried it yet( by the way, externally it looks better than his younger brothers).
    I recommend glycin-hydroquinone developers, in particular, Foma`s formula FV-105 for developing old papers. Most of almost dead papers go out clear, without fog, and in spite of venerable age of glycin there is no staining of paper.

12. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    When I buy Glycin, I buy 2 pounds and try to coordinate it to purchase when it is freshly made. I keep it in the plastic bottle in the sealed envelope it comes in and the freezer keeps it much better than room temp storage. It seems to stay very white..I do go through 2 pounds in 6 to 8 months...EC