Old news...new to me

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Dave Swinnard, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Dave Swinnard

Dave Swinnard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a eureka moment in the darkroom today. I was cleaning up after mixing some new printing chemistry when I happened to notice the empty Ilford Fixer bottle (1 litre) that I'd just washed out and put aside looked suspiciously like the Jobo bottle I happened to set it beside.

I needed an extra Jobo bottle the other day and was lucky in having some old ones from an old CPP I'd bought from JDC a few years back when he left Vancouver. But the fact is now filed away for future reference.

Had it dawned on me, I would have searched here and LFF and found this fact had been reported years ago, and not had my moment. But I didn't.

The Ilford bottle has a bit smaller opening (~36mm vs. 42mm for the Jobo), but otherwise it seems about the same - it even fits just as well into the water bath positions of my CPA.

IMG_1096.jpg

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    IMHO , Square bottles are more ergonomic , I always disliked them. Photography is about continious tones generally and square does not feel good. I loved big round bottles , I dont like square glass bottles also. Ilford bottles looks like milk or juice bottles and they are good for stacking in markets or safer transportation but these two dont interest me.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Everyone who's opinion matters knows that you get much better contrast and tonality from developer which is kept in octagonal bottles!

Steve.

4. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've heard that hexagonal bottles give you more shadow detail and prevent the highlights from blocking :smile:

5. Ghostman

Ghostman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Straight cut film with rectangular shaped negatives must get you down. Stay away from 6x6 format, the square is particularly tone disrupting. :smile:

6. Cybertrash

Cybertrash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot 6x6, so I have to use chemistry from square bottles, if I use round bottles I get vignetting...

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are all wrong! Dodecahedronal bottles produce the smoothest tonal changes of any bottle shape, and are beautiful to just sit and stare at...endlessly...for.....hours....:munch:

8. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's no rational reason to prefer round bottles. I like the square ones. The only thing I don't like is that the Ilford bottle apparently leak air. I lost over half a bottle of Harman WT developer finding that out. Now when I open one I immediately pour into other bottles.

I'd certainly use them for extra tempering bottles for my Jobo though, if I needed any.

9. Shawn Rahman

Shawn Rahman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that we've completely and needlessly hijacked the OPs thread ... I bet dodechadrenal bottles that are half-full produce better tonal changes and ranges than ones that are half-empty.

10. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I'll have to run the appropriate tests to verify findings.

11. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use special bottles, depending on the chemical and purpose. Also, I just like the looks of them on my shelf. Some have the original contents, but when empty, I remove the lables and lable them with whatever photo chemical I put in them. The bottles supplied with photo chemicals just bore me.

Attached Files:

12. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The original Disaronno bottles are particularly good for portraits. It usually takes about half a bottle. The last bottle shown is only for the photographer, and is to be quickly mixed only into a dirty coffee cup from the sink. Watch out for stray cigarette butts, although some people say it improves the developing. Aged is good, but 2014 is a great year!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're all wrong about which bottle to keep developer in. I find that Klein bottles give the smoothest tones and widest range.

14. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Square bottles rarely fall over and roll off of a counter.

15. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tgat's why I like cubed eggs too;much easier to store in the fridge.

16. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry but you're way off. It is common knowledge that the best tones are achieved from an amber coloured cut glass decanter. So refined.

17. rubyfalls

rubyfalls Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Best. Thread. EVER.

18. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Square bottles (aka, "squattles") are sold by bored photo store employees to squares. Thought everybody knew that. How else could they retain any semblance of sanity? You can track your own square to beatnik to hippie to hipster evolution by reviewing your own squattle history, or lack thereof.

19. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought it was best to use lead crystal with a cubic zirconium stopper.

20. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rectilinear bottle with sharp edges to hold developer for rotary processing...

21. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm relieved that no one has mentioned wine-bladders yet, though - as is well known - these can help produce wonderful randomly curved cloud definition.

22. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Great! An entire thread on "Bottle Bokeh."

I wonder which bottles Ansel Adams used? Joel Peter Witkin must use old formaldehyde containers... How about Weegee (old wine bottles found on the street?), Uelsmann (multiple bottles welded together?), Weston (mescal bottles with the worm left in for his Mexico days, certainly!)??

The list is endless.

Doremus