Old potassium dichromate

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by mark, Jan 21, 2012.

1. mark

mark Member

I found 100g of Potassium Dichromate at the bottom of a box at the bottom of a pallet I bought at a school auction this morning. I would say it from the late 80s or early nineties.

Would it still be good?

There was also a lot of glass plates for holograms that said open under safe lights that were wide open. Those are shot. Anyone want some little glass plates?

2. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's still bright orange crystals, it's likely good. I had a jar on the shelf for 20+ years that was perfectly okay.

3. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If it is still sealed

If it is still sealed and as it was kept in the dark I can see no great chance that it will not be good - However, there is only one real test . . .

4. mark

mark Member

It is pink in color. Does that mean it is bad?

5. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Potassium dichromate is a nasty chemical (handle with care and read the health and safety instructions).

6. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    (
    Most references describe pot dichromate as being a bright orange-red color, which is how I would describe the product which I've used in the past.

You really need a fresh sample to compare, as we all have different ideas of describing colors. But I wouldn't expect a "good" sample to be a "baby-pink" or similar shade of color?

7. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    100 grams...pink??? maybe it's just LABELLED at pot dichromate...even diluted with water i'ts always orange...VERY diluted it gets yellow----never heard of pink with this stuff....

well--jsut mix up like 2 grams with some diluted sulphuric acid and see if it will clear a developed negative to cleaar film base..if so..it's what it says it is and it's good

9. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please don't go adding sulphuric acid to things unless you are 110% certain of what you're dealing with.

10. mark

mark Member

I will look at it again tomorrow. It was in a milk white bottle.

I ain't mixing a thing with sulfuric acid unless I am dead sure what it is. I've seen a guy after a chemical mishap.

11. OzJohn

OzJohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a small brown bottle of it that would be close to 50 years old and the crystals are still orange. OzJohn

12. mark

mark Member

I opened the bottle and it seems to be the right color. I guess I am good to go.