Old Rolleiflex in Windhoek -- redux

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by kavandje, Aug 13, 2008.

1. kavandje

kavandje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the help and advice guys and gals -- the 1951 Rolleiflex Automat (model 4) is now mine, obtained for the perfectly sensible price of N$1500 (USD192). Sweet!

Everything seems to be in working order so far, apart from the two slowest shutter speeds, which are a little sticky; a CLA is in order next time I'm in 'civilisation', which should solve that.

Looking at the lens, a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar f/3.5, I see not only the bayonet filter coupling (Bay 1, right), but also a thread. What's that for, and what size is it? It looks like ~27mm or so...

2. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The early 3,5 Automats can use both bayonet and push-on filters and sun shades. The thread shouldn't be used for anything. It's only for the ring that keeps the front element in place.

3. kavandje

kavandje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK, so it's off to find Bay1 filters I go... Any suggestions as to where yellow and IR may reasonably be obtained?

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yellow ones turn up on that well-known auction site with some regularity, but I think you'd have to be quite lucky to find a Bay Anything IR filter at a decent price. Best probably to buy an adapter to a standard threaded size (I've gone to 49mm, but for Bay I only you could go quite a lot smaller).

-NT

5. kavandje

kavandje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The big auction site is not a good proposition for me; nobody wants to ship to Africa for some reason...

But: Are there maybe places in Vancouver or London who might stock, say, a Bay 1 to 39mm adapter? That way I can borrow the Leica's filters...

6. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The IR-filter (Rollei-Infrarot) isn't just a filter, but it's also a weak lens, that compensates for the IR-focus. So if you want to shoot IR with the Rolleiflex, I suggest that you find a Rollei-Infrarot in Bayonet I.

There are two different yellow Rollei-filters, Gelb-Hell (light-yellow), and Gelb-Mittel (medium yellow).

There's also the Sport-filter, a very light yellow. (It's called "Sport" becuase the filter factor is low).

B+W and Heliopan makes new filters in bayonet mounts.