old transparencies

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by thebanana, Jan 15, 2008.

1. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently found some 35mm slides that I shot as a teen in the late 60's. They were never all that well cared for, but with a cleaning they might be salvageable. What is the best way to clean them up?

2. ctscanner

ctscanner Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just a thought. You might want to try just scanning them first. Reason being, if the colors have not faded badly, you might be able to get away with only doing some spotting and cloning in your image editor.

George

3. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Prazio sell some very nice film cleaner. They also have a couple choices in film wipes that work very well. The only downside is that they have a minimum order requirement. I suggest calling them on the phone, rather than going through their internet storefront.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PEC-12 has worked well for me on some 30 YO B&W, the bottle says it's good for Color as well.
    It's made by Photographic Solutions inc 508-759-2322

5. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Second the PEC-12 recommendation. It won't take off water-based goop, but it cuts through grease pretty quickly.

6. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks folks. Turns out Photgraphic Solutions distributes PC-12 via a shop in Winnipeg. I'll pick some up soon.