old vs. new potassium oxalate PTPD printing

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by boyooso, Jul 21, 2008.

1. boyooso

boyooso Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What sort of differences could I expect to see if I used an old stock (8 years) and a new stock mixed with some of that older dev.

The newer mix gives warmer prints, but I am curious--what would I expect to see in the highlights? (should the printing speed be different?)

Thank You In Advance,

Corey

2. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't notice that newer developer speed up printing time but I use new dev in some case:
    • using old developer may lead to get a little fog. so when I print with white border I use new dev I apply with my coating rod.
    • When I want to do a pure platinum or pure palldium print, I also use a new dveloper.
    • at last when I use gold in my sensitizer I truely prefer to use new dev as it may react with old ferric calst contain by old developer.

3. sdivot

sdivot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Chris,
    Can you tell me how you mix the gold developer with your sensitizer, and what effect does it have on the print? I have some old gold toner for silver prints. I'm not sure if it's simply pure gold chloride in solution. Will this work, or do I need some other form of gold chloride?
    Thanks,
    Steve

4. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve

It is an additive to the sensitizer and not a gold developper. I add a drop of 1 5 or 10 % to my palladium platinum mix to get a pink effect, It can also be use to get warmer or colder tone ( gold is quite magic). I am nnot sure gold toner may work as it contains thyocyonate or something like that.

but you may use it to gold tone your palladium print.

Regards