Old wooden Kodak Film Tanks

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by Changeling1, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Does anyone know know the history of these old wooden Kodak tanks? I'm curious as to the years they were used and what type of film was processed in them . Also, what camera took that type of film? It looks like the film was very wide like today's sheet film but in a roll like 120.

Attached Files:

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the thread. I know I'll have to do some more research- unless Sean would care to pass his knowledge on.... :smile:

4. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Short answer: in the early years of the 20th century, there were several roll film sizes 3+ inches wide, a couple 4 or so inches wide, and at least one 5 inches wide.

5. DKT

DKT Member

kodak had a couple of different film tanks, the first was actually metal, and the film was processed in the tank by rolling it back & forth from the two cranks-spools. the models after that were the wooden boxes, that were used to roll the film onto an apron of sorts and that was placed into a cylindrical metal processing tank, not unlike what we use today. the wooden "film tank" boxes, came in only maybe one or two sizes, and they would accomodate smaller rolls up to about 5 or 7 inches....

hope this helps, I have the reference material at work, just not with me right now...