Olympus $4.9B scandal/Yakuza (Japanese Mafia) involvement

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Nicholas Lindan, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and how does that affect analog photography? I mean when was the last time they made anything remotely related to analog photography?

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ive been following this as well, Im a big fan of olympus film cameras and lenses. Its quite a flaming nose dive they are taking. But the circumstances are ripe for a takeover by a larger imaging company, as this is making them quite undervalued.

4. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hm, things not looking any better: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16281034.

"But the fact their offices have been raided seems to indicate that there are new developments in the investigation that might add a new twist to the story,"

True enough that Olympus is no longer in the analogue business, but painful enough still to see this unfold and unfold and unfold. How many more "new twists"?

I for one can't see an Olympus PEN (the shiny new ones) anymore without feeling this mixture of emotions usually reserved for less-upperworld businesses. I am not so naive to believe that business and morality go hand in hand, but Olympus seems to have taken it a couple steps too far.