Olympus iS1000/iS-1:comments?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Galah, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought an Olympus iS-1000/iS-1 (it depends whom you talk to :confused:smile:.

It's in pretty good working order: no scratches on the lens (but you should see the state of the UV filter :rolleyes: A good ad for using filters!). An Olympus G40 electronic flash (working) and a telephoto extender came with it.:smile: I have found the relevant user manuals on the web.

I know its not a Leica or a Nikon F4, but -for a "prosumer" type of "compact" with considerable manual options, it seems relatively capable. I'm putting my fist roll of film through it now.

Any comments appreciated.:smile:

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You did well probably, because that G40 flash was probably worth more than the camera itself. The glass is good, the camera is good. Shoot and you will find. :smile:

3. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The IS-1 (aka IS-1000, L-1) can produce very sharp results. Down side is slow auto focus (will not lock focus on moving subjects). John, www.zuiko.com

4. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for responding fellas!

Thanks for the quick responses John and Kevin. :smile:

I have nearly finished my first film.

So far: G40 flash practically automatic in use (almost switch on and forget!).

Focus not as fast as Canon EF, but appears to be sharper (at least in the viewfinder) and is faster than my Minolta 5000si or my Pentax MZ50. According to the "blurb", the lens should be a "killer".

Another amazing feature is +/_ 4ev exposure compensation at the touch of two fingers. 4ev!!! Even some "top" DSLRs don't have that much EC available. Also, fairly long "eye-relief", so using the viewfinder while wearing spectacles is no problem.

OK, just need to finish off the roll and send it to be processed.

Can't wait!:D

If anyone has used one of these, I'd still like to hear from them.

PS: I've just finished the first roll & loaded up the second: They are tricky little devils to load, aren't they? The trouble is the design of the loading bay is such that the leader is left "flapping" (its not "caught" onto the takeup mechanism in any way, and the natural curl of the film as it leaves the cassette makes it curl away from the film track so it tends to get in the way of the back as you close it). It's quite an art to load it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  5. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The "Power Focus" function?

Dear John,

The iS1000 has what they call in the guide book (but don't describe very well) a "Power Focus" button.

What is this for and what does it do?

6. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the Power Focus is just the manual focus.

7. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just checked. Yes, it is. It over-rides the auto focus, and then the T and W zoom buttons become focus controls.

8. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does the film cassette snap into place? It should. When the locking clip (found inside the cassette chamber) is broken, then film loading becomes quite a challenge. John

9. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, yes, that must be the problem. The cassette just flops about in the chamber and, as you say, the loading is "quite a challenge" :rolleyes:. (I thought, at first, it was just me, or a design fault):sad:
    So far I have managed to accomplish the loading -though with a struggle. :smile:Now that I know there is a technical problem, I'll look into it more thoroughly. At present I have a film in the chamber, so it will have to wait until I have finished shooting it before I can examine the problem more closely.

In your opinion John, can the locking clip be repaired?:confused:

Kevin, thanks for the info on the "power focus" feature: I'll try it.:smile:

10. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got my first prints back!

Well, the prints from my first two rolls of Kokak Ultramax ISO 400 that I put through the Olympus iS1000 have come back.

I apologise that I do not have the facilities needed to post samples, so I will have to rely on a verbal descripton of the results.

I tried to cover a variety of subject matter: architecture, scenics, close focus, and portraiture (with and without flash, including on-board and accessory)

The verdict?

Overall, quite acceptable.

Specifically: very sharp focus (not so flattering for the ladies)

Colour rendition quite acceptable and relativley natural, however, intense reds (as in rose petals) are a bit "blobby".

the lens tends (to me) to be rather contrasty.

Flash metering (including) 'fill flash" appears to be satisfactory as does the "auto" metering in general.

Overall, I'm satified with my purchase (except its a devil to load -I'll have to look into that!)

Overall, I prefer the results from my OM2n and the OM10. However, it is more convenient to use (as any prosumer is, compared to an slr).

overall: 8/10 :smile:

11. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The clip can be replaced but it's definitely not a home repair job. Clip is spring load and part of it (inside, under a circuit board) has broken off. If interested, I can the work for you. John, www.zuiko.com

12. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear John,

Thanks for you helpful suggestions on this and other issues. Unfortunately, living in Australia, access to your services is somewhat problematic -though I will keep the option in mind failing a local solution: thanks!:smile:

Now, after messing around with it some, I feel I have worked out a reasonably convenient way of loading a film cassette even though the "retaining clip" is, clearly, faulty. (I work the leader of the film around a hard edge to put a reverse twist to it and orient the camera in a particular way -to keep the film located right- as I close the back: it seems to work for me.:smile:)

13. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More on the virtues of the iS-1000/L-1

Well, I have been examining the prints of the shots I have taken so far with the L-1 with a magnifying glass, and I must say I am very impressed with the resolution of the lens.:smile:

In one instance, there is a shot, taken at a distance of about 100+ feet, which includes the top of the chimney of a house. Under the magnifying glass, a "constellation" of small dark dots near the top of the chimney reveals itself to be a group of bees coming and going from a hive in the chimney!

I am surprised that no-one on Apug appears to own one or more of the iS series of cameras, as no iS user/owner has yet responded.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Except for me. :smile:

16. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, Kevin, I wasn't sure you were speaking as an owner/user. Would you like to say a bit more about your experiences using one?:smile:

BTW, I have had a chance to try the "Power Focus" function and was pleasantly surprised at the degree of control available with this function: the helical thread is relatively fine and smooth, giving good control.

PS: I almost forgot; the bokeh on the "Macro Tele" setting is beautifully creamy and misty looking.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  17. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Galah. I think you had another thread on the iS series where I specifically mentioned owning the iS-3000. Anyway, I love it. I have had to get repairs done a few times though. The weirdest one was when I was on holidays in Canada, sitting eating a meal, when suddenly the LCD display started going black, and smoke started coming out of the camera. That repair was paid for by travel insurance. One other repair was needed when the manual focus stopped working. Since I started using a Hasselblad about five years ago, I use the iS-3000 a lot less than I used to, but it is awesome for certain requirements, such as sports, etc. Optically I think it is superb. Reviews were usually effusive about the optical quality of this range. The motor drive is a bit slow compared to others at only 2 frames per second, but it is fine for my needs. I've used it for everything from candids of the kids to greyhound racing. If you want to see one example from the iS-3000, have a look at the shot of the cyclist in my gallery.

18. DRabbit

DRabbit Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    I actually have one sitting in a closet (forgot about it until seeing your post). It was a "splurge" purchase for me way back when and the only film camera I ever owned (up until my recent interest). I remember it being quite good, though I knew nothing about shutter speed, aperture, etc. back then. I actually have two 8x10 photos hanging on the wall in my hallway that I took with it.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy it!

19. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Kevin and DRabbit:

Kevin,
    Sorry again: I'm getting to an age where I tend to forget things all too often:sad:. I tried to find your gallery, but wasn't able to work out how (would it be it too much to ask for a link, please?:smile:)

DRabbit,
    Thanks for responding. I looked up your website: impressive!:smile:.

20. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Galah,

I'll try to attach it.

Attached Files:

21. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, Galah, but you probably couldn't access my gallery as you don't seem to be a subscriber. But anyway, now you can see the pic.

22. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kevin,

Thanks for the prompt response. True, I'm only a "member" (and glad of it:smile:), so I can't access the galleries.

As to the "Cyclist", that is one "artistic" shot!:smile:

Thanks.

23. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No worries, Galah, and thanks for the comment. If you have any more iS questions, please ask here.

24. Aleksej6

Aleksej6 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys,

I am new of the forum, and I want to share my experience with Olympus IS-1. I shot some b/w pictures with Agfaphoto APX 400, yellow filter, I mean landscape; the result has been excellent in sharpness. I also shot color films as the Kodak Superia 200. But with the color I am less enthusiastic.
    I think it is very inexpensive for the characteristics it brings along: specially I appreciate the Spot Exposimeter, and the integrated flash; also macro integrated function is very useful.
    Other side of the medal is the power unit: in fact I ruined a roll of Slides because it faulted with the exposure, giving more the normal; I think the reason is due to the type of battery (CR123) that tends to alter the exposure reading when they lacks in charge. I replaced them.
    I like also the beauty of the item itself.

25. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If memory serves, I've got 2 of the pro models and 3 of the consumer models. They are great little cameras and really illustrate the genius and creativity of Olympus. The design was an amazing innovation and has been copied by pretty much every manufacturer for their d@#&*$l models.

If you need a pro quality Oly with autofocus, these are the answer. The only drawback is that the lenses are fairly slow, but there is the built in flash for low light conditions.

As a bonus the T-CONS can be screwed on any lens, increasing the focal length with essentially no reduction on lens speed or quality.

26. Aleksej6

Aleksej6 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, one problem is the not-so-luminous lens. For sure the Is-1 couldn't have been totally good.