olympus om-2n

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by peters8, Nov 7, 2012.

1. peters8

peters8 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi!is the olympus om-2n a silent camera?...problems with vibration with shutter or not?
    thanks regards:wink:

2. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not silent but pretty quiet as SLRs go. Air damped mirror mechanism helps. Certainly no problems with vibration.

3. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Silent - no but no niosier than similar cameras from that era. Vibration again the same as the silent question, however on most SLR's the vibratory period is AFTER the shutter has fired and the mirror coming down to collide with the base is what you feel as 'vibration'. It is insignificant and does not affect the image at all.

4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Silent? Of course not. It is quiet though.

5. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OMs are along with the Leicaflexes probably the quietest of the manual wind SLRs. (The Canon Elan 7 is quite quiet -- really very impressive.) In the case of the OMs it's the damping described above, in conjunction with a cloth shutter. Definitely not silent, however.

6. MikeTime

MikeTime Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Silent. Quiet. Noisy. ?

Depends on the circumstances of course. A church during a quiet moment is never suitable for an slr, though a big heavy Contax RTSIII is relatively quiet. Good shutter damping and mass count for something. It's the quietest slr I know.

7. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    If you want really quiet, shoot an OM-1 with its mirror locked up.

Many times I shot an OM-1 this way with a 28mm, scale focused. Shoot from the hip. Point and pray - crop later. Great for museums.

Also using a leather half-case helps a lot.

8. peters8

peters8 Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Thanks!...is the OM-1 more "silenter" than the OM-2 ?:blink:
    Really?
    ciao

9. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    as "silent" in English seems to mean "being without any noise" this can not be. But, as far as I can hear, both 1 and 2 are at about the same noise level.

Ulrich

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
  10. dsmccrac

dsmccrac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ya, my OM 1 and 2 have about the same amount of 'silencieness' (since we are making up words).

I think it is a relatively quiet slr - louder than rangefinders, but near-silent when compared with the Pentax 67 I get to play with - but I sounds like you are reloading a canon when it goes off.

11. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Yes, but the OM-2 does not have the mirror lock-up feature.

An OM-2 with lock-up could be very useful.

12. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OM-2 does have lock-up in a sense - if you use the self-timer the mirror locks up as soon as you press the shutter release, the shutter then opens after the delay. So it's almost as good as a dedicated mirror lock-up function.

13. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OM-(x), x=1,2,3 and 4 is not quiet no matter whether you use with ML or Self-timer.

Worst is OM-2sp, which sounds like rubbing metal and glass together.

14. RH Designs

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's odd, my OM-2SP is the smoothest and quietest of all my OM bodies ...

15. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just tried this on my OM2n. It doesn't? If you press the shutter with timer set, the shutter fires as normal.With timer it fires the shutter just as normal after the time.

16. jajong

jajong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is normal for an om2. An om4 (maybe only the ti) lifts the mirror seconds before firing the shutter when using the selftimer.

17. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Camera shutter noise never bothers me but if for some reason I have to use a quiet camera I certainly would not use an SLR. No SLR I ever known I would classify as a quiet camera.

18. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Chan Tran, when I used to photograph weddings I used a Rollei TLR. The OM is less noisy than most other SLR's though as long as the damping and seals have been replaced. They're getting on a bit now and do deteriorate with age.

19. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would shoot a TLR (and do) or a rangefinder if I wanted quiet. Generally, though, I just don't care. It isn't like I'm photographing during a church service.

20. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bear in mind that film transport noise will be different depending on how the last owner stored the camera, how heavily it was used, whether it has had a CLA, etc.

Shutters are likely to be much the same across different examples, providing that their speeds are accurate.

Those soundproof "blimp" arrangements were available for Pentax as well, I've seen a photo of one for an MX and heard that they existed for the ME and possibly earlier models too. Very rare now, and usually mistaken for an unusual ever-ready case.

21. RH Designs

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My mistake, sorry. I was thinking of the OM-2SP which like the OM-4 and 4Ti does lift the mirror when the release is pressed, then releases the shutter after the delay.

22. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The OM's had a reputation for being the most quiet and vibration free of any 35mm SLR, and my experience with them bears this out. But they certainly don't compare to the tinny click of a rangefinder or viewfinder shutter. But as for vibration, I find them much less vibration prone than my rangefinders. The shutter release is very smooth and consistent; I regularly handhold my OM's with a 28-35mm lens at 1/15, 1/8 and even 1/4 with very good results. By the time you fight the stiff shutter release, trap the meter and set the exposure on a RF, you're lucky if 1/60 - 1/120 doesn't show some camera shake.