Olympus OM 4Ti - Focussing screen 2-13

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Avispartner, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Avispartner

Avispartner Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all,

I have been trying to find this focussing screen 2-13 for my recently purchased OM-4Ti, but with no success. :blink:

I get along well with the standard 1-13 screen which I have in all my OM's, but just wanted to try this as this seems to be quite a bit brighter.

What do you think: is it actually worth trying to find this brighter focussing screen? Does anyone have an idea what the price level is for this?

Thanks for your ideas.

Cheers from Switzerland.
    Rob

2. chioque

chioque Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's very rare, unless you purchase the OM-3Ti, which comes with the 2-13 as standard :smile:.

3. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have seen two of these sell on e-bay in the last two years. If I remember correctly, price was over $200.

4. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beattie also makes a brighter screen.

5. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't Maxwell make bright screens for 35mm? I just got one for my Rollei. Bill Maxwell was very pleasant to talk to. Worth a try.
    Jeff

6. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wont changing the focusing screen in an OM4 / OM4t change the metering values?
    I dont think they use off-the-film metering like the OM2.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OM4/4t were designed to be used with the 2 series screens.

If you use one of the 1 series screens in them, the meter reading will be in error.

8. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 2S, 3, 3Ti, 4, 4T etc. meter through the semi silvered mirror to a cell in the mirror box floor. Focus screen has no affect on metering. 2-4 and 2-13 are very hard to find and expensive. You can buy Beattie Intenscreen, though new they will still run about $120 ea. If the cameras mentioned DIDN'T meter through the mirror, you wouldn't need a special screen because the finder would be as bright as an OM-1/1N/2/2N. John

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the correction John :smile:.

10. Avispartner

Avispartner Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for your ideas.

Well I guess I'll just stick to the current 1-13 which suits me well, the cost for an alternative screen to be more than 100$ seems too stiff to me.

Happy Xmas to all

11. jajong

jajong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Rob,
    I have a om4-ti that came with the 1-14 screen. I read a tip on Photo.net some time ago that an OM-40 (om-PC) has a bright screen, somewhat like a 2-13. The suggestion was to find a broken OM-40 and salvage the srcreen from it. I followed that route and installed that screen: it is brighter than the 1-14! You may want to try the same. Cheers, Jan.

12. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have read rumors about this, but I dont notice a difference when I look into my OM-PC vs my OM4Ts in brightness with the same lenses.

John Hermanson, can you chime in on the validity of this? Olympus truth or just lore? 2-13 screens are close to impossible to find, and when they appear the price is just plain scary.

13. mls64

mls64 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dang, I sold a BGN OM4T a while back for $250 and it had a 2-13 in it. Should have swapped out for the 1-13 I have sitting on the shelf.

14. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had luck converting screens from other cameras to fit my OM2's
    The minolta screen from a XG is nice, but is quite a bit wider than olympus. A screen from a canon t50 only requires a little bit of trimming.

That said, the prism in the olympus just doesnt seem to give much contrast to the viewfinder.

16. mls64

mls64 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  17. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 1 series screens will work with any OM, but the clear field screens will not give correct meter readings on the 1's and 2's. The 3's and 4's will meter correctly with any screen. The 2 series screens can only be used be used on 3's and 4's.

18. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The brighter screens can be used on the OM2 on auto mode with no changes. The Om2 uses off-the-film metering in auto mode and so will meter the same regardless of which screen is used.

Note that using the om2 in manual mode and using the built-in meter with a bright screen or clear field screen will require an adjustment of the ISO.