Olympus OM-PC

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by BetterSense, Sep 1, 2010.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was reading a 1985 National Geographic when I saw an ad for the OM-PC...apparently it has some extra automagical metering capabilities compared to other cameras, but I have never seen this camera mentioned on this forum and never seen one for sale used anywhere. Did they ever make it? How did it work? Did it work well?

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always thought that "PC" stood for plastic camera, because of the construction. Its a very light weight entry level body and doesn't appear to have the pro qualities needed for longevity.

4. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, I thought it was some ultra-high-end thing that read your pupil and could focus or meter wherever you looked. Wasn't there a camera made that could track your eye's position? I seem to remember reading about such a thing, but maybe it was in a book. I read a lot of scifi.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some Canon EOS cameras offered Eye Control Focusing:

From Wikipedia:

Eye-controlled focusing

Through the tracking of eyeball movements, EOS cameras equipped with eye-controlled focusing (ECF) are able to choose the appropriate autofocus point based on where the user is looking in the viewfinder frame. ECF comes especially useful in sports photography where the subject may shift its position in the frame rapidly.

ECF is a function that is usually either loved or hated. Some users feel that it is not reliable enough for common use. Others report that they are able to use it reliably. Much of this depends on the user. Eyeglasses can also reduce its accuracy for some.

EOS cameras equipped with ECF are the EOS A2E (U.S. model names are shown; see the table below for equivalents in other countries), EOS Elan IIE, EOS IXe, EOS-3, EOS Elan 7E, and EOS Elan 7NE.

Canon has not continued its use of eye-controlled focusing with its digital SLRs, however. The EOS Elan 7NE is the last EOS camera to have this function.

6. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember that I bought an OM-PC for my sister as a high school graduation present in 1989. Some features as I remember them are: manual mode, aperture preferred auto mode, program mode, "ESP" metering (a computer assisted evaluative metering), fixed focusing screen, a metal frame with a fair amount of plastic, TTL flash modes.

My impression was that this was a replacement for the OM-2S Program, aimed more at the market that was filled with "program" cameras.

Dave

7. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an OM-PC but have not used it yet. It was given to me by a family friend who has gone over to a Canon DSLR. The OM-PC was not a replacement for any of the OM-2 models. It was more of an entry level camera but it had more features than the OM-10. With the OM-10 you need a separate Manual Adapter to manually control shutter speeds. The ESP metering option on the OM-PC is somewhat rudimentary compared to the more sophistocated metering systems of today's newest cameras but is still helpful in difficult lighting situations, especially back light. I recently added an OM 2000 to my collection and I need to find time to use both of these.

8. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My OM-2n and OM-4Ti keep me busy

9. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have 4x OMPC/40's (don't ask!!), and they're quite solid metal construction. The rubber grips go quite horrid with age, and they chew through batteries like nothing I've seen - refusing to work point blank if they are dead. HOWEVER, they are an excellent little camera for photographing theatrical performance, so I've used them for work quite a bit (couple hanging 'round my neck with different OM prime lenses), shooting at 3200, the fancy 80's "ESP" metering is dead on, particularly in theatrical environments that are mostly black with bright highlights. Even though I have my fancy EOS 1v, I've hung on to these - they are rugged, black, and useful.

Marc!

10. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recall reading some years ago an article by David Vestal (a favorite photo writer of
    mine) in which he praised the OM-PC and said he carried one with him all the time.

11. Lanline

Lanline Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I had OM-2 and OM-2n s back in the 1980s. Wonderful cameras based on design/features. But... my 3 were terribly unreliable. New batteries would go flat with no warning...ending the shoot. Olympus optics are second to none... but the OM-2s were a huge disappointment. I bought a OM-PC last year and loved it, but sold it as it was out of my system.

12. 35mm

35mm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just acquired a Zuiko 100mm f2/8 portrait lens. Can the OM-PC be in PROGRAM mode with this lens?

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OM-PC works with all OM lenses. The Program mode doesn't require any unusual functionality from the lenses.

14. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should work with no problems. Set the camera's mod switch to "PROGRAM".
    Set the lens aperture to the highest number (smallest aperture).

15. 35mm

35mm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for the quick response. The 100mm lens is so SWEET.

The OM-PC seems to get a bad rap; however, it's become my preferred camera when I run out the door to shoot analog. It meters very accurately; I don't take bad photos because of this camera, I take bad photos because of composition; but at least they're sharp.

16. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ompc was my first olympus camera. It worked really well and never gave me problems even shooting in the cold. The rubber surfacing cleans up nicely and Is contoured to give your hand a decent grip. It's a very light camera and was never a burden on my neck. I gave it away earlier this year to a forum member here.

17. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have two of these. One came from a family friend who went digital. The other was an eBay purchase and was overhauled by John Hermanson. It's a very pleasant camera to use. The ESP metering option is rudimentary compared to a later Nikon Matrix metering mode but it's still more than adequate for must purposes and especially with print film. The one adjustment I had to make in using the camera was to tape over the film reminder window. The inside foam piece is no longer available. I suppose someone could cobble one together but the black tape prevents light leaks.

18. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    The OM-PC with ESP metering works wonderfully for slide photography. And any backlit scenes. My other auto-exposure OMs (OM2. OM2s, OM4t) can't come close to the OM-PC. Unexpectedly, my OM-10 is second, better than the 2's and 4's.

BUT!!! Don't use power winders on an OM-PC. It is metal construction but has plastic film advance parts that seem to melt or sieze up under the stress of a winder. Advance carefully by hand and don't try to rip through the film. Take it easy and that OM-PC/40 will serve you well.

And, take out the batteries between uses.

19. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's funny that you mention a winder. I have an OMG with a winder attached and so far it has worked well.

20. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have the Olympus 100mm f2.8 and the 85mm f2. I must admit that the 100mm f2.8 is a bit sharper than the 85mm. At 1/3 the price even. So no need to get the 85 if you already have the 100. Almost no CA wide open, and gone at f4. So works well on digital as well.

Regarding the OMPC, I have not used one myself but i have held one. Seemed much more substantial than an OM10. Good to know the metering is good.

21. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just won an OM40 (PC) on fleabay for a £10 + pp. No idea why I bid it, because I sure don't need another camera, but it's tidy, virtually unmarked paintwork, non-sticky foam and all seems to be working fine. Another camera for the price of a couple of pizzas! Gas!! I can see the ESP adjusting exposure as I move the camera across the subject. Be interesting to put a film through this soon! Got some neopan 1600 in the fridge - think I'll try that!