Olympus Pen W

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by tjaded, Aug 22, 2011.

1. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently acquired an Olympus-Pen W camera. After a bit of online hunting and pecking I discovered that it is a somewhat rare 1 year only variant of the Pen series cameras. I am wondering if anyone has one that they use, if so what they think of it. I personally doubt I will use it, I have enough trouble with 36 shots...72 would kill me. HA HA. I'm sort of on the fence about it--part of me wants to keep it for my camera museum at my little shop, and part of me thinks I should get it CLA'd and sell it to someone that wants to use it. Does anyone know of a place that does good, reliable work on Olympus-Pens?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I at one time had a fairly complete collection of the Oly 1/2 frame cameras but do not think I had a W. Could you add a photo, please. As for using it, I think the relevency if 1.2 frame is re-emerging with the reduction of film available and the increasing costs to develop. I just dusted off a Konica 1/2 frame to start using for a carry around camera. You can load a 24 cartridge for 48 shots if 72 is too many.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check with John Hermanson at Zuiko.com.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mike zack at zack's camera repair ( an apug advertiser ) also does
    very reliable work on these cameras.

5. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tips. Nice to have options! I don't have a non-analog camera at work, so this is the best I could manage for a pic (set it on my scanner...)

Attached Files:

6. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I remember it now, the manual model with the somewhat wideangle lens. Really nice picture taker and no issue with the series selenium meters common on the 1/2 frame series.

8. slumry

slumry Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Odd, I just re-found my PEN after about 30 years and have just started using it again. Mine is not a W and it says D. Zuiko 1:3.5 1=2.8cm. Is it counterfeit because it does not say “E?” I recently scanned some slides I had taken with it a long time ago and was pretty impressed with how sharp they were.

9. Brett_Jurgens

Brett_Jurgens Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly the Olympus Pen D was a nice camera with full manual adjustments. It is smaller than the Pen F and FT and does not have interchangeable lenses, but a nice shooter.