Olympus Trip 35 Repair

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by thuggins, May 24, 2008.

1. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Since I couldn't find a good document for testing and repairing a Trip 35, I just posted a fully illustrated set of instructions.
    www.thermojetstove.com/Trip35

Let's keep those little beauties clicking!

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nicely done

I have had my trip apart a couple of years becuase of all things the resistor popped off an end fitting, which put an end to auto metering. It would have been nice to have to see all of the steps to dissassemble it.

In the end my repair was to hold the restistor bits together with a bit of blu-tack.

There is a modification on the web to hook onto the lever that selects 1/40 vs 1/200 shutter spped setting, located under the exposure counter dial and allow you to 'pull a little bit of a ty rap' to allow you to use the camera on manual (ie flash settings) with the 1/200 shutter speed.

I have not yet made this modification, but I have verified that the metghod it discusses will work. I have set this project aside until the day when my other little Oly, the XA dies.

3. yellowcat

yellowcat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some good instructions there. (despite some problems I had with loading the page)
    I have repaired a couple of trips and a couple of other old Olympus compact cameras, reasonably easy to work on if you are careful, I find it best to cover the work top with a large sheet of white paper before you start just to make it easier to see everything.

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    felt is my preference

A smooth felt, as you would once have found on a 'card table'. It reduces the risk that little things that drop out don't bounce out of sight.

I ahve also learned to sweep and vaccuum the floor of the area I am working in before starting. It makes sweeping to find the little bit that gets away so much easier. To hold small parts I use empty egg cartons. The lid can be folded over and thus keep dust out if there is a while required before the thing goes back together again.

5. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mike, be careful with that shutter speed modification. It will only work if the meter is completely disabled. Remember that the "Flash" setting is not a manual override! If the meter is operating, it will still control the aperture, even in the "Flash" setting. So your exposure will invariably be wrong if you manually override the shutter speed to 1/200sec. That mod might be a good idea if the cell/meter has really crapped out. But I don't believe that is a very likely failure.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish you'd posted this a year ago, I sent 2 or 3 Olympus Trip to landfil.

Ian

7. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh no, Ian!! That only leaves 9,999,997 of them! :smile:

Some folks have pointed out that Firefox does not render the site properly. I've reported the problem to them. In the meantime, it seems to work fine in IE.

8. yeknom02

yeknom02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, I just wanted to thank you (a few years later) for posting this. It seems that you've helped me resurrect this little beauty to keep on shooting.

9. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You did a nice job with the detail work and the photos.

The only thing you might want to do is figure out a way to correctly collimate the lens. That is, set infinity focus. If you mate the treads at a different point, then aligning to your previous mark will be incorrect at infinity.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting that the threads been revived as it appears my hoarding instinct saved my two Trip's, and I spotted them last November in storage, they cxan now await their turn in the restoration regime, anything 100+ years old gets priority though :D

Ian

11. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Infinity focus is adjusted to 1/100th of a mm. Once you unscrew the lens (even if position is marked) infinity focus will be wrong when you reassemble (though depth of field will pull focus in). Was infinity focus correct when you took it apart? A focus collimator is needed to reset lens to proper infinity focus. John

12. kittyhawk88

kittyhawk88 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    it's quite easy to collimate for inifinity on a trip 35. just place a ground glass on film plane or scotch magic transparent tape and adjust the front element till it all comes into focus with the distance ring set for the mountains..

enjoy.

13. Strider

Strider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Trip 35 repair

Thanks for this great set of instructions. I just dug out my Trip 35. If it does need a repair your instructions will offer me much needed guidance!

14. APUGuser19

APUGuser19 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is that an Olympus FTL I see in your profile? Neato.

15. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are a couple of FTL bodies and a set of lenses in my collection. They are not a bad camera. While certainly not as innovative as the Pen's or OM's, they were on par with the competition of the time. Olympus did advertise the feature of a screw mount lens with full aperture metering. AFAIK, that was a first.

16. frjack

frjack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for that. It may be useful... If my hands will stop shaking then seizing up, when I try to do delicate jobs.

This message delivered by rolling into a ball and flicking from my knee.