Olympus XA: Good enough for slides?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Markok765, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm considering putting a roll of Velvia through the XA for 'life' shots.
    Is the meter in the camera accurate enough for slide film?

2. martyryan

martyryan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had one since '78 and it has always worked well for slides once I had determined that the meter overexposed 1 stop, even new.

Marty

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmm.

Anyone else have anything to say? Marty, maybe its just your particular sample. I heard that the meter underexposes by 1/3.

4. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I had good luck with an XA and Provia 400. I used slide film in my XA2 and it worked well. Heck, I used slide film in an Olympus Trip 35 and it came out wonderfully (it only has two shutter speeds.)

Go for it. If it doesn't work out, it's only one roll. :wink:

5. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have never had issues with the meter on any Olympus camera, and I've got a pretty wide sample to choose from. Like all Zuiko lenses, the XA produces very contrasty images. Someone not familiar with this would likely think the shots were underexposed. My XA2 is even more contrasty than my XA, and there is an active thread inquiring whether others have observed this.

I would not recommend Velvia as this is a very high contrast film to begin with. If you want to stick with Fuji, I would try Provia or Sensia. Ektachrome and its brethern work very well.

And, yes, the XA produces remarkable slides.

6. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recall using Sensia in my XA and being very happy with the results. I'd tend to agree that Velvia doesn't have as much room for metering error.

7. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Yes, definitely. The one I had went from 1982 to 2006 when I changed to digital. In the 1980s, it was Kodachrome going through it, then Ektachrome and latterly Fuji Astia.

In common with widespread practice with contrasty film (i.e. Velvia), I would consider rating Velvia 50 at EI40 (40iso) and keep the needle out of the over- under-exposure areas. Shoot only in diffuse / hazy / overcast light to improve your chances of a good image; Velvia 50 is not designed for bright sunlight.

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be surprised if the XA meters in 0.3 stops. :smile:
    I chiefly over-expose by 0.3 in my film cameras, though latterly I am not using Velvia 50 (only RVP 100F, Provia 100F).

9. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

When I saw the post title I said "this guy's nuts." Then I read your responses. Wow. I'm on the bus home and have an XA in my coat pocket that's intermittently screaming "it's too damn cold" and "Velvia 100F!"

10. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Speaking for all the grammar sticklers among us, what about the Olympus XA and slide film inspired you to talk about his nuts? :tongue:

Sorry, I couldn't pass on that opportunity! :D

11. martyryan

martyryan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, there is going to be sample to sample variation in the camera metering systems, the comment is really about testing your sample for its actual reading.

Marty

12. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would run a roll through and ask for a clip test. Then you can have the lab pull/push the roll the necessary amount. Afterwards you can apply that change to the next rolls.

Usually the meters are fairly accurate though some may be off slightly and most all of them don't have a computer in there figuring out what's what. My Nikon L35AF seems to be spot on. I'm waiting for the Kodachrome to come back to test my Trip 35 but it looked good on negative film.

13. alan doyle

alan doyle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have had amazing results with kodachrome 64 and the xa.
    a fantastic combo,the olympus trip works great as well.
    i tend to do small asa adjustments depending on what i am shooting,a little more control than +1 button.
    but even shooting dumb the exposures should be good as long as you have the correct batteries...

14. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have altogether 4 XA's. The first one I got in 1979 but I never shot slide film in an XA.

15. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The meter is good enough.
    But slide film will show the uneven illumination the lens produces rather well. Whether it will be noticeable depends on your subject.

16. theblood

theblood Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think there was an XAII that had a better lens and allowed manual settings, but its a distant memory.

JY

17. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I would second that.

18. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've got it the wrong way round, it's the XA that has the better lens and manual settings :smile:

Marko, I have used XAs with slide film with varying results, some very good, but the meter is certainly good enough if care is taken. I suggest you run a film through it bracketing a stop either side and see how you get on. Velvia is probably going to be a bit too contrasty for best results, try Sensia.

You probably know this anyway but to bracket exposures on an XA, use the ISO dial.

Good luck, and tell us how you get on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
  19. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My experience with the XA and slide films is that in a situation with a large area of bright sky, the meter may react by underexposing the ground-level subjects. If one is familiar with this, perhaps using the backlight setting (1.5x normal exposure) would take care of it.

On a similar subject, I made hundreds of great motocross photos on Kodachrome 25 with my Minox.

Running a couple of rolls through yours will answer all most of your questions.

20. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have not had any problems with my XA in exposing Fuji Provia 100, other than the lens has some color fringing at the edges.

21. oscroft

oscroft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've shot a lot of Sensia 100 and KR64 with my XA, and the results have been great. I find it can be tricky with anything backlit though, as the backlight compensation setting is +1.5 stops, which can be too much. So in such cases, I think it's best to bracket by adjusting the ISO setting.

22. Matus Kalisky

Matus Kalisky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I acquired my XA only recently . The first film I have shot with it was Velvia 100. I find the exposure generaly good - here and there some tuning would make sense, but one should keep in mind that the metering is center weighted and not some more comples matrix.

23. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Trip 35 nailed the kodachrome exposure. Spot on. That's better than I can do...

24. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since the ASA/ISO settings on an XA range from 25 - 800, and the optics (at least on my) are top quality,coupled with aperture priority auto,Iwould definitly say YES! I, personally have shot Velvia 50 and 100 through mine with spectacular results.
    Happy shooting
    Rick