Olympus XA Self-timer Glitch

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by bobwysiwyg, May 12, 2009.

1. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope a fellow XA owner can provide some help on this. I have both an XA and an XA2. Recently, after deliberately using the self-time on the XA (no problem) it now uses a self-timer mode even if the self-time hasn't been selected/set. The odd part is, if I actually use the self-timer, I get about 17 beeps before the shutter trips. With the self-timer 'off' it self-times anyway, but only 10 beeps worth. :confused: It doesn't matter what f-stop or shutter speed, it's always the same.. 10 beeps, then the shutter trips. Anyone have a suggestion or is this just the end for this little cam? I really like it, so I'm hoping there is a solution. Thanks in advance.

2. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Your XA has a bad circuit board. Either cracked ceramic or bad IC. Another fatal XA defect is getting exposures of 10-15 seconds no matter what the camera is set to. John,

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Before you write it off, give the battery contacts a clean. They can do a lot of weird things with dirty contacts, though I have not come across that one before.

Steve.

4. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sob. :sad:

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are not alone in mourning your loss. My now defunct XA does all sorts of things right, except trip the shutter. I have tried all of the web tips about button deformed etc all to no avail. I will be scouting the spring camera show later this month in the hope of a replacement.

I had a Trip 35 that went south, and found a replacement for it at last years spring show for the grand fee of $5.

6. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I'm down to my XA2 for my 'toss in a pocket' cam... until I can find another XA.

I just developed the roll of film that was in the XA, Tmax 400. Looks pretty good exposure-wise so at least the shutter remains pretty accurate. Just have to reserve it for situations where I can wait 10 secs. for it to trip.

7. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suppose it's a bit gauche to put a plug for an XA among the misery of others, but my own XA has been collecting dust for a long time and I would be glad to find a happy user.

Caveat: The rewind knob is broken, but if you can scavenge one from another XA, it is a 5 minute job to replace (The reason I stopped using it long, long ago).

Caveat 2: If there is interest, I'll need to check it out to see if it still works (apart from the rewind knob).

Shipping from Europe.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A good idea. I gave away three XA2s last year because I already had an XA. I can't find it now though!

Steve.