Olympus Zuiko 100 f2.8 or 85 f2?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Rob Archer, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Rob Archer

Rob Archer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm looking for a short telephoto for my OM system. I like the look of the 85mm f2, but the few I've seen are very pricey. The 100 f2.8 is much more affordable and there seem to be more around. Anyone have experience of either or both of these lenses? Should I go for a 100 or is it worth waiting for a 85 (assuming I can afford it?

Rob

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 2.8/100 is my favorite for portrait work with 35mm gear. It allows for a comfortable working distance, but still close in without distortion.
    I have never found any need for the 85mm, tho I can cover that with one of my zooms.

Rick

3. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the 100mm f/2.8. I never found it lacking.

4. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Go with the 100mm f/2.8. I find it to be rather sharp and like ralnphot, perfect for portraits.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Zuiko 85mm f/2.0 is tied for being my favourite lens (with my 35mm f/2.0). I don't own a 100mm f/2.8.

You cannot go wrong with the 85mm f/2.0. I expect you cannot go wrong with a 100mm f/2.8 either.

What other telephoto options to you have available to you? If you have either a zoom that covers a similar focal length, or a telephoto (such as a 135mm lens) which is somewhat close, one of the two focal lengths may make more sense.

Do you often find yourself shooting wide open with your other lenses? If so, the extra stop with the 85mm f/2.0 may be very important to you.

If you are looking for maximum portability, the 85mm f/2.0 plus a 2X tele-converter gives you a nice, small 170mm f/4.0 as well.

6. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Zuiko 100mm f2.8 is my 'always on the camera' lens, my general out and about lens. You will not be disappointed with it and better value than the 80mm f2, that is unless you really need such a wide aperture, eg. available light portraits? I would go for the 100 and a 7mm auto-tube - a very useful combination.

7. goodfood

goodfood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I own both. Both are great lens. 85mm f/2 is two to three times the price of 100mm f/2.8 , but not two to three times better. If you meet a good 100mm with reasonable price, go for it, save the money for other items.