OM-2 problem. Any ideas?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Lars Daniel, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Lars Daniel

Lars Daniel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today when I pressed the shutter release on my Oly OM-2, the mirror went up and then nothing. So mirror is stuck in up position. I have tried switching lens, pressing all buttons etc but no luck.
    Is there anything I should try on my own before proceeding to plan b which would be finding a new old camera.
    Any help is highly appreciated!

2. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you tryed a new battery?

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you try replacing the batteries. OM-2 relies on them for shutter as well as meter.
    Also, when you put new batteries in you must turn the selector switch to check/reset to place the mirror back into the operating position, then you should be able to use the camera.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
  4. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up an OM 2 last year and it did that on my first roll of film. I just played with the switch and it cleared up the problem temporarily. Mine also had a sticky meter. My local camera repairman wouldn't work on it - said it was typical OM 2 problems. So I sent mine to John Hermanson (an APUG member) who runs Camtech Photo Services in New York. It seems to be as good as new now. His website is www.zuiko.com. Others here have recommended him.

I suspect you are just due for a thorough CLA. You may be able to find someone closer.

Dave

5. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    besides trying the new battery, see if the battery contacts need cleaning from corrosion.

6. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I received my OM2 it did the mirror stuck up thing. New silver oxide batteries and the reset sequence and all has been fine ever since.

7. Lars Daniel

Lars Daniel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, thanks everybody. It didn´t occur to me that the shutter is reliant on the battery. New battery will be tried out as soon as I can get one.

8. maderik

maderik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To reset the mirror, set the shutter ring to B by pressing the little button at the bottom of the lens mount. Then wind twice. Sometimes new fresh silver batteries will help or the camera may work intermittently and need service.

9. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember SILVER OXIDE (SR44's) only!

10. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If it's a plain 2, turn shutter speed dial to B to reset the shutter. If it's a 2N, do that or push meter switch up to check/reset position to reset shutter. Then use fresh silver oxide batteries (357, 303, SR44W, G-13, MS76, KS76). No alkaline, no lithium. If you get no constant red battery check LED, something is wrong. If you get constant red BC, and you still get shutter lock, your camera needs work. John

11. Lars Daniel

Lars Daniel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks John, that was very helpful.
    I got it reset, and I get no red LED on battery check, so the cure is obvious :smile:

12. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once had an OM2 which developed very similar symptoms(even with a new battery): at first only at the higher shutter speeds but -eventually- at almost any speed.

As this particular body had already given me a few problems (check the link, bellow), I decided to cut my losses and donated it to my local repairman (who was unable to fix it, but -equally- didn't charge me anything for trying) :smile:

I replaced it with an OM2n (off the shelf), and have been trouble free ever since. :D

Link: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/73627-olympus-om2-problems.html