OM1n Winder - Battery Corrosion

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by dugrant153, Mar 18, 2012.

1. dugrant153

dugrant153 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My late Uncle's OM1n was in great condition when it was given to me. However, one thing I noticed is that the batteries had corroded and left battery corrosion on some of the battery terminals of the motor winder. Curious as to what you folks would subscribe as a good way to clean out these terminals without rusting them?

I'm thinking baking soda + water and a Qtip, just like what I use for my car battery.

2. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have done this on a repair of a winder 2. I would suggest a bit of regular household vinegar on a qtip and to gently rub the areas of corrosion with it. It will sizzle a little, and the just rub them clean with a bit of distilled water, and rub dry with another qtip.

You can take apart the winder pretty easily, all you have to do is take out the screws from the lower section and pretty much leave the upper grip area alone. There is one screw that attached to the strap lug thats kinda annoying.

Good luck