OM4-T Navy Blue Stingray Leather

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Newt_on_Swings, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just spent the last 3 hours doing this mod. I'm off from work today =]. Its my first re-wrapping/covering of a camera in material that is non-standard, and was inspired by the OM1 a la carte post.

It is navy blue stingray/shagreen leather, and it has a few interesting characteristics. In history, shagreen was used for lots of coverings of goods from jewelry to boxes, as well as over sword handles for grip. The material is naturally smooth, but is covered in a pebble like surface that gives it much grip in the hand. Supposedly its even slip resistant when wet with water or blood lol. It has a particular luster to it in different lighting conditions, its very elegant.

I sourced it from a vendor in Florida off of the bay ~$35 which is enough material for two bodies. I first removed the original covering with a small piece of plastic, and it lifts off very easy. This was pasted onto a transparency sheet, and was used as a guide to cut out semi-rigid templates. The plastic templates were used to find an efficient arrangement over the leather to conserve material, and traced on with pencil. A serrated scissor and medium sized xacto knife were used in the cutting. The material is very tricky to cut, the pebbled skin is very similar to grains of sand when crushed or cracked and takes considerable time to cut neatly and cleanly, especially when cutting circles out. Edges were darkened with black fabric marker. The pieces were glued on with pliobond after the glue set for a bit.

here are some pictures sorry for the camera phone quality:
    IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg

Things I should have done differently, labeling the cutouts, as I had one reversed and wasted a piece which detracts from the uniformness on the body. Use more of the edge material than the center, as the pebble surface is much more fine and easier to cut.

Future mods may be with brown lizard skin, or shark skin I have sourced as well cheaply for my other om4t, or other cameras.

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually dislike tarted up cameras, but I really like this one.

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! :smile: I've been letting the pliobond vapor off, now to maybe apply the same covering to a custom grip I've made for this camera out of plastic. It's a look here is very low key, the color is quite dark.

4. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice!

5. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Let me know how the grip holds up during excessive bleeding; I've been in that situation before and better slip resistance would have been welcome :wink:

6. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pimped SLRs are the future. Want fur on my Mamiya RB67 Pro S!

7. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice job!

8. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D

9. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Update: used some leftover pieces I had left over from a messed up front panel and made myself a custom grip wrapped in the stingray leather.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339970861.397758.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339970874.310927.jpg

Works really well together and is a very tight fit. The grip molding and wrap covering took longer than doing the whole camera body lol. The screw is held in by a counter sunk washer within the plastic, and the screw also retains another smaller washer with split spring ring to prevent it from working loose over time.

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should be fine, stingray skin was used extensively in Japan to cover the handles of samurai swords which must have been subject to extremely excessive bleeding.

11. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe that will be the successor to the whole Lomo thing.

12. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping I never have to find that out myself haha. Blood would be an interesting test for the weather sealed body though. :surprised:

13. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps you could interest Jeff Foxworthy in one of these. He does a routine about owning some blue sting ray boots. ;-)

I've got a couple of older cameras here, that might benefit from a little tarting up. Thanks for the pictures and the info. I may have a new hobby.