Omega B635 enlarger... 6x6 negative tray?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by pwd, Apr 23, 2013.

1. pwd

pwd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been using an Omega B635 enlarger (Canadian) happily to print 35mm photos for some time now, and have recently made the move to medium format. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not I'd be able to find a 6x6-sized negative carrier tray to fit this enlarger head? The enlarger I have carries the 120V lamphouse.

Google has given me some contradictory results as some websites say that all B-class Omega enlargers are made for up to 6x6 but some websites say that the B635 is 35mm only... from what I understand the B635 is basically a slightly modified B600 that was sold in Canada and other non-US markets... is it safe to assume that a 6x6 negative tray for a B600 would work with the B635? Just wanted to see if anyone had some experience before I dropped the cash. I just managed to find a few rolls of 220-sized Plus-X that I would love to be able to print myself...

Also, if the negative tray search is successful I would also love to hear some suggestions for a good enlarger lens for 6x6. I've been using a Nikon 50mm for 35mm prints but don't really know where to start for MF prints.

Many thanks.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. HTF III

HTF III Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any time I ever needed a negative carrier I just fabricated one. I dare say my home fabrications were as good as or better than the manufacturer's one. Just go tho the hobby wood section of a hobby shop, especially where they have RC plane supplies. All you need is a hobby knife, a file, a small drill bit and some sand paper. When you're done with the tool work, seal and sand with some butyrate dope, then paint it. Just takes a rainy Saturday and a TV dinner tray in front of your arm chair. Try it. Anybody can be good with his hands. Anybody. I think I use basswood. Just don't use balsa.