omega d2v and vc filters

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by jwchayse, Oct 19, 2007.

1. jwchayse

jwchayse Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just purchased a new to me omega d2v and Id like not to use below the lens vc filtration, but there is no filter drawer such as on the beseler 45mx.

So what im wondering is, would I be alright to place 6" filters on top of one of the condensers, and if so which one? I dont know if I should worry about heat damaging them or anything else.

Any suggestions?

Gracias

On a side note this is my first personal darkroom space and words dont really do justice to how excited I am. Been waiting about two years to do this (now I dont know why though, as it turned out to be wayyyyy cheaper than expected). Anyway, yeah.:smile:

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my D2V, there is a drawer containing the condenser lens which has a filter holder below the condenser (or above depending on setting of the lens) for filters.

I used this area for years for both VC and color printing. I believe that the filter size was 4x4, but it may be somewhat larger.

PE

3. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my Super Chromega Dichroic II head, there is a slot right under the mixing chamber glass that is 6x6...can I put an Ilford VC filter there (and keep the dichroic filters inactive) and use white light with them.

I'm thinking this might be the way to go for harder grades, if this is the way you can use these filters...?

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another option is to put the filter on top of the negative carrier before closing the head. I used to do this with my Beseler 23C with cold light head all the time. Once I got a dichroic head for my Beseler 45, I quit worrying about it.

5. jwchayse

jwchayse Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys,

When I get home I'll check again to see if there is some sort of slot to put them in near the condensers that I may have missed.

6. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

My D2V came with a two part metal filter holder that was specifically made to slip into the condeser chamber. Maybe you can find one on ebay.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe harry taylor at http://www.classic-enlargers.com
    has the things you are looking for. if he doesn't he may have a different solution.
    i have kodak polycontrast filters, and there is a little filter holder that clamps
    onto my lens and the filters slide into that.

good luck!
    john

8. ciocc

ciocc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm getting ready to buy one of these tomorrow. I went to Harry's site to do research on the use of VC's with the D2-V. Click on the forum link. Many people ask that question and Harry gives very detailed answers. He states that he lays the 6x6 filters on top of the movable condenser. The other option is to buy from him the transition lamphouse that contains a filter drawer.

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can and it works well. I still use the 6x6 filters that way with mine when I need too. I made some carriers for the filters from some cardboard to keep them from collecting scratches and fingerprints.

11. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that, fschifano!

12. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I never knew there was a filter drawer (mine does not have one). I just put them on top of the top condenser and it works fine. I believe I had to cut down a 6x6 filter set, but I could be wrong on that.

13. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have used under the lens filters for ever (over 30 years) and I can not see any difference in image quality. I think it is an old wives tale.

lee\c

14. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

O.K. Thanks to a digigizmo that I am currently borrowing from a friend, I took a picture of the holder that I got with my D2V. It takes a 5" filter. I cut down 6" Ilford filters and I rarely bother using the top plate

The printing at the bottom of the top plate says:
    "Filter holder should only be used in position No. 3. When condenser is in position No. 3, Place filter holder on top of condenser."

Attached Files:

15. jwchayse

jwchayse Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks for all the input
    i measured the condenser housing and 6" filters should slide right in there
    ill just plop them right on top of the condenser
    should work fine

thanks again
    now if i can just figure out the best way to block out the bathroom window ill be set.
    any ideas?