Omega D5-XL Lensboard dilemma

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by 5stringdeath, May 10, 2010.

1. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Allo all:

Just picked up an Omega D5-XL Super Dichronic today for a steal ... anyways I'm having a lensboard dilemma.

In the picture below, I believe I have the 421-107 slide in mount ... it also came with the other two pieces. I know what the 421-109 is for, and I need it for my 39mm mount lenses. However it will not attach directly to the flat slide in piece ... the middle piece need to be screwed in first. See those black screws? Well if I attach the middle piece to the left piece, the 109 attaches fine with the thumb screws, but then the darn mount won't slide in the enlarger because the black screws protrude too far out the back.

Question is then, are these simply the wrong screws (the two pieces were already attached, I took them apart) or is it meant to be assembled after the slide in flat part is already in the enlarger? Thus allowing the 109 piece to simply come on and off?

Thanks

[​IMG]

Here's another of the back of the board when assembled:

[​IMG]

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't really answer your question for sure (I use D5500 which is different), however, the hardware is good-old USA SAE, so you should be able to get two shorter screws with no problem.

3. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That of course crossed my mind, but I know this enlarger came from a working darkroom and this was not assembled willy-nilly .... so I just wanted to know if I'm being a doofus before I run out and get different screws :smile: I like to understand the equipment before I just decide its not right ... because most of the time I'm not right!

4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You are missing one piece. There should be another spacer that looks almost like the one with the two holes, but neither hole is threaded. It goes between the slide in part and the flat plate that is screwed to it. I can't see why you couldn't make one out of matt board.

5. tim k

tim k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or just cut off your screws, or put in a couple of washers ? Since the whole assy goes up and down, don't think its an exacting science.

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try www.darkroompro.com for the correct diagram and other info. on D series Omega enlargers.

7. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmm, this site won't let me scroll down in the enlarger section, so I can't get past the Beselers :smile: This is with Firefox. Safari is the same.

8. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear 5stringdeath,

A quick trip to the local ACE Hardware will allow you to get the shorter screws you need. Another spacer will be harder to find than shorter screws.

Neal Wydra

9. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try right-click and open in new tab or window. I think it's coding error.

10. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Werd :smile:

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two suggestions:

1) Will the thumb screws hold both the 421-109 and the intermediate spacer to the slide in lens mount (without using the black screws? or
    2) Can you use the black screws the other way - i.e. with the heads on the top, and the threads pointing up?

12. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    1. Nope, the threaded holes don't line up. My first thought was to put the 109 right into the flat holder, but can't.
    2. Nope, the holes are recessed on one side for the screw heads, and the holder will only go in flat side up.

13. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kind of off topic but not worthy of a new thread ... the newer Saunders and Omega neg carriers are interchangeable right? Since Omega owns saunders now .... on the 4x5 enlargers anyhow.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  16. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And yes the 421-107 is supposed to have two spacers in it. No, it cannot funtion as is. Make a spacer out of matboard until you can find a proper one.

17. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And if it will fit, I have a 404-867 turret, 421-109 mount and a 4 hole spacer. I took it off a D5XL that I scrapped. Send a PM if interested.

18. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well ... it does. I simply got two extra screws and cut them down so they aren't too long any more :D Seemed like the simple solution to me.

19. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Glad you found a simple solution. If you use other lenses on it make sure the rear element doesn't stick up higher then the lens board. Scraping the glass will be more painful then hiting the long screws was. I suspect this is the reason for the spacer.

20. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I don't slide it in with the lens attached ... that's what the mounts with the thumbscrews are for ... I just leave the flat mount in the enlarger then attach lenses as needed with the thumbscrews and appropriate plates, like on many other Omega enlargers.

21. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I expect Omega expects you to slide the plate out for the purpose of changing lenses - thus the need to ensure that the back of the lens clears the enlarger's frame.

22. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Omega does in fact make it so you can slide the lensboard out to change lenses, and mounting plates.

23. 5stringdeath

5stringdeath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, but its also not necessary. Regardless, the lens is not protruding past the lens board. And a nice APUG member has hooked me up with a turret and new spacer, so all these issues will be solved.

24. Shadowtracker

Shadowtracker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for the lens mounting hardware if anyone has some to unload in my direction. I have a D5XL with turret and no mounting parts right now. I will find them one way or another. Worst case is to get out the blow torch and make my own...

But premade ones are so much prettier.

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which lens(es) are you trying to mount to the turret? I have a couple of extra plates.

I assume that you have reviewed the chart on KHB's site.

26. Shadowtracker

Shadowtracker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Schneider Componon (no S is on the lens) 5.6 135mm
    Telsar Anastigmat 4.5 105mm (No name other than Japan on it)
    El-Nikkor f/4 80mm
    El-Nikkor f/4 75mm
    Rodenstock Rogonar SC 75mm

Of those, I would like to put the 135mm and 80mm on the turret. The 105mm could go on there but I will be looking for a 150mm instead of it in time. The 135mm lens has a shoulder on it that is smaller in diameter than the standard 39mm threads. The serial number is 11 528 120. It does have a retaining ring for it.

For the 135mm, this is what I found on the KHB site - 135mm 32.5mm N/A 421-931 421-931

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010