Omega DII question

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jadedoto, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Jadedoto

Jadedoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yo folks!

Today I got a nice used Omega DII enlarger- DII, not D2.

I got a Wollensak 135mm lens, the lens cone for it and the 4x5 condensor.

I've got everything for it cleaned up now and it makes me so happy- a nice little (hah!) upgrade from my Chromega C760.

My question is, since the enlarger was made in the heyday of graded papers, is there a viable way to use multigrade filters in it? I'd rather not be holding them under the lens. I see a slot above the condensor- looks like a filter drawer. There's nothing in it, but I could make a drawer for it; it also has a flap down door.

I'm not too familiar with condensor enlargers, and especially this one. Would it work correctly if I stick like the 6" filters in a makeshift drawer above the condensor?

Thank you

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you have a filter drawer, then you have the "color" head, and yes, you can use 6" VC filters in it or CP for color printing. That would make it a D2 head, I believe, though you may have a D-II chassis. If you don't actually have a drawer in there, then you will have massive light leaks, so you need to sort that out.

3. Jadedoto

Jadedoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi David,

It's the DII head- it says DII on the head itself.

I'm going to have to deal with the light leaks, but I doubt they'll be that bad- the slot is completely enclosed witha flap door in front of it.

Right now I'm taking on the challenge of negative carriers- I've made some before so it won't be as difficult.

Thanks!

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Okay, I'm away from home, but that sounds just like one of the heads that I have. I usually use a cold light head, so I forgot what that one is like. You just put the filters in behind the flap, if I remember correctly. I don't think you need a tray. It shouldn't leak. I thought you were missing the flap.

Omega D-type neg carriers are very easy to find on eBay. I like the round Rapid Shift carriers with the glass inserts.

5. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jadedoto,

I have a DII myself and made filter holders for it. The flap you mention, accepts 6x6" gel filters but in order not to scratch them, I made these:

Two holders with filter 0 and V attached (handy for split grade printing) and a sleeve where I can insert all the others.

[​IMG]

Greetings,
    G

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi jadedoto:

nice enlarger!

instead of using big filters i use polymax filters. they are small, and come with a filter holder that attaches to the bottom of your lens. the filters are 1/2 step - ( 0+, 1/2. 1 ... 5+ ) work well with modern vc papers. if you have one of the olde cold light heads, you might think about getting a yellow cc 25 (i think that is the # ?) filter to use with it. if you have trouble finding one, i think i still have mine PM me if you are interested. only problem with the yellow cc filter is it eats up a lot of your light. i ended up getting a aristo cold light head ...

good luck!
    john

7. MikeM1977

MikeM1977 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you have a filter drawer, then just get a peice of glass cut. This is exactly what I did. Make a cutout out of cardboard to get the right dimensions. Then just lay the filters over the piece of glass.

This is a nice enlarger. The only annoying thing is that to make 5x7" prints from 35mm and 120 negatives, I need to raise the easel off the baseboard by putting it on top of a box.

8. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A box of 100 sheets (I use an old Azo box) is exactly the right size to raise it up for 5x7" prints! I think they might have even planned it that way. :smile:

Best,

Will