Omega IID Help!!!

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by tommy5c, May 31, 2006.

1. tommy5c

tommy5c Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So I recently purchased an Omega IID Enlarger and I'm having troubles withe the condenser lenses. I'm not sure how they are supposed to be held in there. If i put them in position that seems correct the sit touching each other like |)(|. I don't think they should touch but i can find no way to suspend the top condenser lens. if anyone can help and even send some pics for example it would be great. It is possible that I am missing something, But i won't know without an example. Thanks for everyone's help.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There should be a corrugated metal band that goes around the inside of the cylinder and keeps them separate. You've got the orientation right--convex to convex. Insert the bottom lens, the metal band, and the top lens. If you are missing the metal band, you might try and order one from www.classic-enlargers.com.

3. tommy5c

tommy5c Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think I saw that in the bottom of the box and thought it was to help as a heat shield. Thanks i'll do that.

4. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's also a trick for getting the second condenser glass into place without covering it with fingerprints, chipping/scratching it against the lower glass, or worst of all dropping it and doing heaven only knows what damage. Make a loop of thread, fold it in half, grab the fold, and put the two looped ends around the condenser so they suspend it, convex side down. If you made the loop short enough (or if you "choke up) a little on the fold), the thread will hold the glass securely while you lower it into place on top of the corrugated band, and then you can let the tension off the loop and work the thread out from under the glass by pulling on one strand at a time.

Any other method is very likely to result in fingerprints, at best, and much worse (more expensive) problems as a strong possibility. Replacement glass for those costs a good chunk if you have to buy it from Classic Enlargers...