One joy that digital photography doesn't offer

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Mainecoonmaniac, May 31, 2011.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to admit that I shoot both, but I lean on the analog side. I noticed one joy that analog photography offers that digital photography doesn't. It's the joy of anticipation. I shot some film over the holiday weekend and I won't have time until the next weekend to process the film. I'm enjoying the anticipation of stepping into my darkroom to soup and proof the film. It's almost like planting tomatoes in the spring and anticipating the pick them in the summer. Am I old fashioned or I just don't enjoy instant gratification? To me, anticipation give me greater enjoyment of the end result.:laugh:

2. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was out shooting both yesterday, but it was so bright and sunny I could barely see my digital photos on the back of the camera. I could check the histogram and that was about it. I didn't get to chimp them till that evening. It will be a few days before I get to put them on the computer as I'm kinda busy.

I prefer to think of the effect as less "instant gratification" and more "faster information feedback cycle".

However, when I get around to processing the B&W and making a few prints and scans, I will pronounce it worth the wait.

3. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not just joy of anticipation, but joy of surprises too. I have a whole whack of old cameras that I load a film into sometimes. I then take them off along with one of my more 'main' cameras for part of a day's shooting. If the film isn't all used, they might go back on the shelf for a few months at least before I recall it has a film still to use up.

Then there are the films that pile up waiting for a time to process. If you work in multiple formats you know what I mean. I have some 4x5's shot on lith film that are waiting for me to get to them. Some might be a few years old now. I think that is the more fun part; the Oh, I remeber that situation now.

4. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    "Possession diminishes perceived value. Immediately."

- Somebody smarter than I

sa

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chimping = less reliance on intuition

Chimping diminishes the intuitive and gut feeling of a photographer. I think one of the important skills as a photographer is relying on years of experience and using one's intuition. Digital photography can kill that instinct. After all, It's not a binary world, but an analog one.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with the above posts!:smile:

Jeff

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't be a Gary Winogrand

Gary Winogrand died with 2500 rolls left to be processed. Hope you have a long haul as a photographer and process your film earlier. I know I don't want to die anticipating. I think if the doctor told me to get my affairs in order due to some terminal illness, I'd would think processing exposed film I shot.:D

8. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the years of experience and intuition and I wouldn't trade it for anything new. I use the histogram mostly for analytical purposes such as to see how deep shadows and high highlights get treated. I don't think it will kill that instinct for me, thought others may be different. It would definitely prevent it from being developed in a new photographer with no film experience.

I'm not nieve enough to think that if it looks good on a 2-3" lcd it will look good on a 24" lcd or big paper.

9. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's great that you use it as a tool and not a crutch. Nothing beats experience!

10. Sethasaurus

Sethasaurus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK, call me slow. I did wonder for a while until I finally looked this up:
    Chimping:
    What one does after taking a picture with a digital camera and looking at the result. Derived from the words they speak when chimping: "Ooo-oo-oo!"
    (Made me laff my arse off).

So, what's that reaction when you see your print appear in the developer in the darkroom?
    I don't think it was a chimp-like experience.

11. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had to look it up too.

12. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personally, I lumber around like a dancing chimp and make similar sounds only I throw rolled up prints in the air beside the enlarger. :D

(Think 2001 A Space Odyssey...)

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cannot shoot digital because no one gives an advanced class in chimpin'.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The joys of "chimping" are denied to me I don't own a digital camera,and I don't feel that anything is missing in my life,and I often think to myself for what a decent DSLR costs I could buy a used Hasselblad, a real camera, and I wouldn't need to learn photography all over again.

16. Focus No. 9

Focus No. 9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What's a histogram?

17. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A small amount, by weight, of histo. :wink:

18. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love shooting film and I wish I can continue to do so for a long time!
    I do not like the anticipation and was the reason why I learn and do darkroom work so I can see my results sooner.
    I do not like surprises and was the reason I do testing, studying and developing techniques that I can accurately know what I am getting at the time I release the shutter.

19. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Err, Ummm, Well grams aren't a measure of weight (which in the english system is a measure of Force). Grams are a quantity of mass, not weight.:munch:

20. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So how many Pascals does a gram weigh?

21. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If we're talking about a gram of Helium, It might be a little hard to weigh it.

22. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think that histograms really have any mass so it might be an oxymoron.

23. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Q.G., is that you?

24. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Easy, turn your scales upside down...

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the risk of encouraging this ....

It is useful to think carefully about what the units we use actually mean.

At least the metric units don't use the same label for weight and volume (ounces).

26. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't really enjoy the anticipation. I'd just as soon have my images processed and proofed ASAP. But that is almost never the reality. I just don't devote myself to processing with the same gusto with which I approach shooting. It feels more like a job...so I am loathe to do it on my day's off of work! I have just come to view the inherent lack of immediacy as part of the process when using film. I guess since that is what I am used to, I do enjoy that lack of immediacy. Though I wouldn't say that it is the "anticipation" I like. I guess you might just say that I enjoy not dealing with it till later. So, maybe procrastination is a better word? :D

What I do really enjoy about shooting film is the thought process it takes to know what will be on the film even though I have not seen it. I like holding a freshly developed roll up to the light and saying, "Yep; that's exactly what I expected." Even years after the exposure in some cases, when I finally see the film, I can remember taking pretty much each shot, at least in a general sense. That is really fun. With film, this thought process of analyzing and predicting is always going on in my head before and shortly after each shot. With digital, the thought process goes on, but the questions raised by it can be answered right away...and there is no emotional equivalent for that moment of holding the film up to the light.

With digital, I do enjoy the ability to view shots right after I take them, but I don't really see it as a huge advantage in most situations. I cannot think of a single shot that an LCD allowed me to get, that wouldn't have turned out at least printable on film. In other words, I think the LCD is a useful tool for fine tuning (and it can also be fun, of course), but it doesn't ever make or break a shot for me.