One step backwards, one or two steps forward

Discussion in 'Silver Gelatin Based Emulsion Making & Coating' started by Photo Engineer, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have described how I tried to make an ISO 100 - 400 emulsion. It worked from one POV in that everything went well, but from another POV it failed. The emulsion developed an aggregate as I could not stir as well as I had hoped.

So, I am doing frantic work to rescue the bad emulsion. So far, no joy! Of course, at my age, joy is a rare event anyhow. Don't let the Avatar fool you. :wink:

In the mean time, I have gotten some critical chemistry for making my first color coating. I plan on doing a single color coating first using an azo dye and the dye bleach process. Previously, as you interested parties may remember, I said that the last surviving color material might be dye bleach. Well, that is what I am going to try as it is easy to do in a home darkroom.

In the first experiment, I plan on imbibing the dye into an existing coating and testing the premise. I will go on from there based on results.

So, I will be basing my work on what Grant Haist and I did back in the 70s making DB coatings and processing them in a home designed DB process. That is my current goal in coating.

I have not forgotten the high speed emulsion, it is just that I have to find a way to rescue the current emulsion (about 1Kg in the fridge) or it must be disposed of and remade. It appears to be a mixing problem. In the mean time, the color coating is simple to do and easy to demonstrate (if it works).

This is a PS to Iford engineers (not Harmon). Why the *$#(#(% don't you guys use shiftable azo dyes to get the speed grain up where it deserves to be. This is what we were working on at Kodak when the projects ended. Then you would have a camera speed film with the grain of Ektachrome and the sharpness of Kodachrome! Gee guys, get to work and astound us!

Anyhow, this is where I am - and Ilfochrome engineers should not be sitting on their hands. There is a whole world of advances out there to think of! Get to work guys. Oh, and simplify the coating paramaters while you are at it so that the cost can come down!

PE

2. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Way to go man!

Great avatar, BTW! I was dropped to the floor (just from the surprise) when I first saw it :wink:.

3. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the words of Bill the Cat, "Pblllttttt". :D

That was my retirement photo from 1997. I am thinking of losing it! Maybe I should use our project logo.

PE

4. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The photo makes you look offical. Looks like someone with authority who probably worked for a large company. Gee.

Dave

5. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! I didn't think they had color film that long ago! :wink: :wink: :wink:
    (J.K.)

6. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe pompous is the word you are looking for?

:wink:

PE

7. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No no, don't ever change it! It suits your posts shockingly well! I agree with Dave, it has a very important atmosphere in it. But maybe with a slight humoristic tint :smile:.

Speaking of avatars, my avatar is a logo of a Finnish grocery store chain with a funny name.

8. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shockingly? That scares me!

PE

9. Ray Rogers

Ray Rogers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Looks a bit like Marty's dad on BTTF....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
  10. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ray, we have met in person. Is the picture that bad? Marty's dad? Aaaaaaaa!

PE

11. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I like the photo! But things have sure changed in the last 13 years!

Sorry, just joking!

Did EK make you guys wear suits in the Research Lab? Do you have silver nitrate burns in your suit like your lab coat?

12. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kirk;

Yes, things change! I wore a suit because I had a lot of people doing things for me, but I had whites and a locker and a lab coat at EK and I did work in the lab and I did do my own work. I've destroyed several lab coats and shirts at work and at home.

I made melts for my coatings and made a lot of copper emulsions and coatings with polymers, and made dye bleach coatings. So, I have had my share of lab work. I used to bring work home in terms of paper to process or solutions to test out. I tested some Ektacolor 37 that I coated on J9 at EK in 8x10 and 11x14. I had the first chemical mixes here.

But, that is gone. Now I work for myself and worry my hair gray. And now I am losing it (the hair, not anything else).

So, to end this ramble, Kirk, you look quite different than some of the photos on your web site. :D Things do indeed change. Like hair! :D

PE

13. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    have you tried the emulsion as it is to see if it works? Before you start over from scratch you might as well give it a shot, really what have you got to louse?

14. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a standard test of every emulsion in which it is coated on a standard paper, given a standard exposure and then processed in a standard developer. That way, I can tell how it compares with my expectations and with previous emulsions. This one looked to be about ISO 25 (raw with no sensitization) and very foggy, grainy and low in contrast.

PE

15. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hehe - my photo on my website is over 25 years old! I'm both fatter and balder now! At least my hair was falling out faster than the grey was coming in so it never got grey. So far, that is...

16. Ray Rogers

Ray Rogers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Missed it by this much!

:tongue:

uh, That's in color Chief... in B/W, you look more like a young Clark Kent!

17. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I had hoped for a degree of seriousness in this thread, but it is turning into a thread about my hair and Kirk's hair. :D

Ray, someday, it may be your hair that is being commented on! Or your mustache.

:D

PE

18. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE, members will eventually get over the new look. Hang in there.

19. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fotch, I like the new avatar. Lets talk about your mustache! You look like one of the guys on our project. Dave had a mustache just like yours.

PE

20. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE, your new avatar inspired me to have a more serious image.

21. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At last! One positive effect on APUG!

PE