Only One Camera and Lens Challenge

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by snegron, Dec 29, 2006.

1. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is probably going to sound like a typical "what if" thread, but there is a thought behind it. Like many others in here I have collected way too many cameras, lenses, and photo equipment. In reality, I can only use one camera and lens at a time because I was only born with two hands (one holds the camera or lens while the other snaps the picture).

Yes, buying camera equipment is fun, and we justify it by saying to ourselves (or our spouses) that we "really need" that new lens, or we "have to update" an old camera body, etc.

Here comes the "what if" part:

What if a large sinkhole came and swallowed up your home, office, or car with all of your camera equipment and you were forced to save ONLY ONE camera with one lens and one flash? Which camera would would it be and why?

Many of us will have different answers depending on many factors, including which camera brings in the rent money, which has more sentimental value, etc.

The challenge:

Take that camera/lens/flash combo with you for the next month and only use it for all the images you create. ( I know, some of us shoot weddings, press, advertising, etc. and will not be able to do this, but use your "sole survivor" camera for all your artistic or "fun on the side" stuff.)

The goal behind this challenge is to create an outstanding image by having to use your imagination, problem solving abilities, and photographic knowledge. Just for fun we should all come back to this thread in 30 days and post our best images and relate our experiences using that one camera/lens/flash outfit.

For the next 30 days (excluding the weddings I have to do) I will use only a Nikon F3HP with MD4/Nikkor 35mm 2.0 lens/Vivitar 285HV flash for all my images. Anyone else want to give it a shot? (cute pun intended) :smile:

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a pretty easy one for me, with the possible exception of lens choice -

Canham wood field 5x7, probably limit myself to the Fujinon 250 F6.7, no flash. And one film choice too - Fomapan 200.

3. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am actually trying to do this every month with my collection. I take each camera out of the cupboard for the month and shoot some images with it. I also pen a few words and put the results up on my webpage under "classics"
    I am getting a little behind with the silly season and all that but should get Novembers camera up today ( Zenit) I have decided to use an Ensign Selfix 820 for the next one.
    It's a great way to give all the cameras an airing, some of them I haven't even run a film through yet. Talk about too much gear!
    Cheers, Tony

4. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use either my pentax sp500 with a 35mm 3.5 takumar or a 55mm 1.8 takumar.
    Tri-x in rodinal.

5. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Great web site! Did the Altiflex use 120 roll film? Your images look great with each camera used. Judging by old National Geographic issues I have from the 1930's and 40's, I don't think the images back in the old days looked as good as yours do today even with the same cameras! A prime example of what can be done with one camera and photographic knowledge!

6. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Isn't the fomapan the same as the arista.edu ultra? I have been thinking of using that for 8x10. How are you developing it?

7. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the kind comments, the Altiflex does use 120 film.
    Tony

8. MAGNAchrom

MAGNAchrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One camera? Probably my Mamiya 7 II with either the 80mm or 50mm lens. I'd certainly let my car fall into that sinkhole before my Mamiya!

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, the Fomapan is the same as the Arista.EDU Ultra- which is actually what I'm using. I'm doing it in Pyrocat HD in a Jobo Expert drum, 1:1:100, 11mins @ an indicated 70F on the CPA2's thermostat, and according to my dial thermometer, 75F. I'm not sure which is right, but my results are very consistent and easy to print. I'm souping for pt/pd prints, so you may want to cut the dev time back to about 9mins if you are printing for silver gelatin, if your goal is a grade 2 negative.

10. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    One camera and lens would be the Ebony RW45 and probably Fujinon 180mm f5.6 lens. If the others went I wouldnt be too disappointed, it is hard to actually force myself to use either of the Canons, the Mamiya RB67 and Bronica ETRSi.

The Ebony suits me best, but the Horseman 612 back would be handy as well.

11. picturetaker

picturetaker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well - not quite in the same camera league as the above posters, but my choice is between an Yashica Electro 35 GT with its 1.7 45mm or a Canon Elan 7E with a 1.8 50mm. Both are fun to use and with my level of 'expertise', both would provide enough challenges for some serious problem solving. So, my choice is going to be the 7E on manual of course.

Edit: forgot the flash, onboard or Canon 200EX.

12. PatTrent

PatTrent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad 500 C/M with the standard 80mm lens, no flash, Ilford FP4+ film.

13. 3Dfan

3Dfan Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    David White Stereo Realist (non-removable 35mm lenses)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Shawn Mielke

Shawn Mielke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not too much of a challenge for me at this point in my life in photography.
    I have just completed one year with the Nikon F6 and the 50mm f1.8 AFD. Happy Anniversary to us! That was my first year of photography with my first camera, btw, although I did tinker a little bit with an FM3A just before that. I desire and have plans to acquire other pieces of gear, especially in the way of lenses, but plan on turning to the 50mm focal length as much as possible. It's a prince. My next long term relationship is with the 85mm focal length, I think. Another full year? Possibly. I don't like the perspective of the shorter focal lengths, or at least I should say that I don't understand how to use them, but am game to learn. In any case, the
    one camera/one lens challenge is, in my opinion, an extremely important part of the growth process, as a craftsman and as a photographic artist. Rites of Initiation, and all of that.

16. ehparis

ehparis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Think my choice will be a Nikon F with eye level finder and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens, no flash. This is not a terribly unique setup but one which I think will challenge me.

17. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've actually tried to pare down my choices in formats and tools over the last year. I'm finding it's less distracting. I know this is in the 35mm forum, but he said I had to throw all but one cam down the sinkhole! Besides, I see a few 'blads & the like mentioned.

Since I don't burn through a volume of film any more, my current choice is my 4X5 Anni Speed with a 135/235 Schneider mounted. It lets me shoot handheld/mounted/macro/flash/landscape/portrait/sports, you name it and it'll do it passibly. I don't have to "finish the roll" if I've got just one or two shots I'd like to get right on. Contact prints are a great help organizing photo files, and give a wealth of filtration/exposure info for enlarging. I only usually go to 2X enlargements, so great tonality & grain....even at 3200.

Seems to work for me....anybody know why my arms are always tired & my backs been acting up lately? It is a little heavy :>)

18. salamandrine

salamandrine Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    F3HP with 50mm f1.4

19. bruce terry

bruce terry Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No choice necessary! Leica O serie w/ non-interchangable 5cm Elmar 3.5 Using TX400@800 for best flexibility. I'm in the process of selling all my 8x10 stuff and Keeping-It-Simple from now on.

Bruce

20. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What I would save from a sinkhole (or landslide, far more likely here) is the Carbon Infinity, and the 180mm Convertible Symmar.

What I use when I bring only one camera and one lens is a different matter - that's the Bessa-L with 21/4 Color-Skopar. That's because I bring it to the offshore oil rigs, where tripods are impractical, space is tight, and batteries unpopular. I can take the batteries out of the Bessa and still have full functionality (except metering, which I can live without).

Will I do it this month? No. But that's because I'm going to a rig where use of cameras must be approved in advance, by the head office. No chance of that going through in time, so no camera this time.

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    since this is in the 35mm area ... i would have to say
    leica m3 and 50mm suma ...

22. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I lived the first, oh...15 years or so of my photographic life with nothing more than a Pentax KX, SMC Pentax 50/1.8, SMC Pentax 135/2.5 and a crummy little Vivitar 152 flash.

Today, I might choose:
    Nikon FA, 28mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor and Tri-X.
    flash...we don't need no stinkin' flash!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  23. photogolf

photogolf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmm, hard choice, either:
    Nikon F4
    Mamiya 645 100S
    Nikon EM
    Bronica ETRSI
    Okay close my eyes, pick one..Still hard...
    F4, Nikor 50mm 1.8, SB600
    Man That was a hard decision!

24. PatTrent

PatTrent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ooops! You wanted 35mm info. :D So that would be:

Nikon FM2n, 50mm f/1.4 lens, no flash, Ilford FP4+ film (or maybe Pan F+ ???)

25. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Today I started the challenge. In spite of the extreme temptation of taking several cameras and lenses with me to a fantastic garden here in Florida, I left everyhting behind except for my F3HP with MD4, 35mm 2.0, and Vivitar 285HV flash.

I went to a place called Bok Tower and Gardens in Central Florida. I made it there in the late afternoon, just as the sun was casting that great orange glow. I took a couple of Fuji Velvia ISO 100 rolls of slide film. It was a real challenge to say the least! I felt almost naked without my usual two bags of equipment!

After a few minutes the creative juices started kicking in. I actually had to force myself to walk in order to get a well composed shot instead of relying on a zoom lens. I made every shot count. It was a great experience! If there is enough time tomorrow I will probably drive out to another garden near Sarasota or take several street shots in nearby old Florida towns.

26. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I really do not understand this thread. Not because of the idea - but because it is posted in the 35mm forum and the then on the very first response we get 5x7 format getting discussed!

And on and on.

Some of us actually LIKE to shoot 35mm and would have been interested in this thread if it hadn't gone off topic with the first response!

Given the stray, shouldn't this thread be in "The Lounge"?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2006