Ontario L.F. get-together Saturday July 15th

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by m. dowdall, May 31, 2006.

1. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is anyone interested in going out as a group to photograph an old auto wrecking yard? It is an older wrecking yard with many cars from the 40's, 50's and on. There is also a river with an old mill dam and a small steel bridge with wooden planking. This invitation goes out to large format photographers. But those who use the lesser formats would be welcome as well if they have an interest in stepping up.

The wrecking yard is located approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes east of Toronto. If people want to drive straight there, I will email a map. Any one wishing to gather together as a group could meet me at Warden Subway station “kiss and ride” at 8:00am and I will lead you all there. I have two spaces available in my truck for anyone without a car or just wanting to share the cost of gas. If anyone needs a ride or has space in their vehicle, please email me and I will attempt to coordinate rides and riders.

There is only a small variety store in the nearby town so it would be advisable to bring a lunch and something to drink. Wear sturdy shoes and clothes that you can get dirty or torn. This is an operating wrecking yard so please be advised that there are some hazards on site. The operator or I will not be held responsible for any injuries. I have brought groups here in the past without incident, but figured it's best to state this beforehand to protect all involved.

Michael

2. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds great Michael, I'll have to check my dates. Would we be able to meet you there, rather than drive into Toronto and back east again?

3. Timothy

Timothy Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Great Idea Mike. I would love to come along but I can not be sure of the date till closer to the time. By mid to late June I should know for sure.

Tim R

4. Harrigan

Harrigan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If I were up there I'de jump on the chance, its very difficult to get a junkyard to allow any photography. Due to the envoronmental issues inherent with waste cars most yards won't let you near them with a camera. Granted GA is a whole different world that Canada but I tried to do a series of images in junkyards there and got permission from only 1 or 2 out of about 10 I tried.

5. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You had to arrange this during my vacation, didn't you? :wink:

Mike (London ON)

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Mike

Laura and I would like to come, but for now I will bookmark and wait to see how the workflow here is closer to the date. I'd like to work more on the solarization project and this location sounds like my original area.

7. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Quick question for all you LF brothers in Eastern Canada...

I'm working on getting a workshop set up here in Vancouver with the famous Per Volquartz in September some time. :smile:

It'll cost about US$75 per person, which is darn inexpensive for someone of Per's qualifications. You should do a Google on Per... I know you'll all be impressed!

Would anyone be up for coming out to Vancouver, BC in September? The Group of VI would be glad to have you join us! :smile:

Cheers

8. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Michael,

Sounds like a great idea, but I can't make that date.... I'll keep checking in case the date gets altered.
    -Rob Skeoch

9. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately the timing will be off for me. I'll be in Alberta/BC in August and then back home.

10. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear that you can't join us. Perhaps, next go round! :smile:

Michael,

My apologies... I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Good luck on your get-together. We had one out here in Vancouver several months back and it was great to meet a few of the other shooters. :smile:

Cheers

11. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not a problem, but why don't you start another thread about Per's workshop. I'm sure there are many in your neck of the woods who could make it easier than I could. I'm drooling with envy. I’ve heard so many good things about his workshop’s.

Michael

12. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Michael,

Thanks... :smile: We did start another thread under the Workshop forum... but only after I interjected in the middle of your thread. That's why I felt the need to apologize to you. :smile:

Well, you'd be more than welcome to hop on that ole jet plane and come on out for a visit. :smile: WestJet usually has pretty reasonable prices!

Have you looked through Per's website... incredible images on there!

If only I were 10% as competent at LF photography as he is!!! :smile:

Cheers

13. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry about planing this during peoples vacations. Maybe we can do this again later in the year.

I have one taker on the ride in my truck, one left.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2006
  14. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Directions

I will be emailing the directions to every one early next week. Please make sure you have your email address in your profile or PM it to me.

Michael

15. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry for not emailing the directions as I promised. I want to confirm with the owner that he will be there next Saturday and have been unable to contact him by phone. I would hate to lead every one there to find a "Gone Fishing" sign on the door. Because of this I will be going out to the wrecking yard this afternoon to try and speak with the owner. When I've got an answer, I'll post here and mail out the directions.

Michael

16. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi every one. I just got back from talking to the owner of the yard, he's OK with us going there this coming Saturday. I just sent out the directions to the wrecking yard to all who asked for them. If I missed any one please let me know.

Michael

17. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Michael
    It looks like Laura and I will be coming so please send the Instructions on how to get to this place to me.
    thanks for organizing this , should be fun
    Bob

18. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Quick question, is it ok to bring Barney or will there be some gaurd dogs on site that will eat him for lunch?

19. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bob

Since we will be ariving there in the morning that would be for breakfast.

No there are no guard dogs but the owner has a dog about the size of Barney the Wonder Puppy. She didn’t have the best personality in dealing with people and I doubt it would be any better with other dogs on her territory. I didn't see this dog when I was there today, she was very old the last time I saw her. She might not be there any more. I don't know if bringing Barney is a good idea. The yard is in the country and surrounded by a forest. He would have to be on a leash the whole time to be safe.

Michael

20. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    How many people will be meeting up at Warden Subway station? Wouldn't want to leave any one behind. I will be driving a white Ford pickup truck with a cap on the back.

Michael

21. Timothy

Timothy Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll be there Mike. I figure it should take about 45 min to get there from Mississauga, so I am leaving here at 07:00.

Tim R

22. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Have a great time guys, have to work myself or I'd be there.
    -Rob