Oops I loaded my film wrong RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by StevoG, Apr 9, 2014.

1. StevoG

StevoG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just realized tht I loaded my film with the backing paper facing the wrong way into my RB67. What would be the best way to get itloaded correctly?
    Feeling stupid in San Diego

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Step into the dark room (or place it in a changing bag) and open the back, remove the spools and rewrap the film tightly onto the correct spool. At this point, you shopuld be able to turn the lights on and reload in the proper direction.

3. StevoG

StevoG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Boy , now I really feel stupid. I forgot that I can take both spools out. Thanks Rick

4. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't feel stupid.

When I got back into film last year (with an RB as well), I shot and developed my first roll with the lens in "mirror lockup" mode...meaning I got zero exposure on the roll.

All part of the process. :smile:

I'm pleased to say that, after who knows how many dozens of rolls through the RB at this point, it feels completely natural. In fact, its been a serious re-awakening for me. I still shoot my Nikon digital when necessary, but that camera now seems insanely over-complicated to me. I mean, seriously. Its nuts. Countless buttons, dials, wheels. Two display windows. Crazy deep nested menus. What's all that for? You don't need it. At least I don't, 99% of the time. The only thing the Nikon really shines at is action shots where the AF comes in handy. But that's not my bag at all. At least rarely. Seriously, who needs AF for portraits? That makes no sense.

I'd much rather shoot the RB. It just feels right.

All that new technology is like crack cocaine. Somehow they convince you you need it. It feels very liberating when you realize you don't.

5. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "I shot and developed my first roll with the lens in "mirror lockup" mode...meaning I got zero exposure on the roll".

Yes, but they probably showed no camera shake :] I've learned to look on the bright side of everything.

6. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Been there done that you need to recall that the film goes through the sharpest turn possible and look at the dotted lines on the floorplate of the insert...

7. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently scored an RB for free, and during the first two weeks of ownership I didn't touch my digital not even once, so long that the batteries were dead when I actually did decide to use it.

8. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Off topic, but I'd like to step in and voice my agreement with omaha. Recently I bought my first digital, a simple cheap P & S. I found the manual online and was shocked to find it contained 196 pages. I'm way happier using any of my old film cameras -- dead simple.

9. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't feel bad, I messed up once loading my RB.

Thinking that you load a RB just like a 35mm, I once took the film and went from roller to roller without going to the front of the film box or whatever you call it. I thought then that I needed to do more photography with the RB and less with the 35mm. This reminded me of something that happened while I was in the Navy back in '74. I was at a park (stationed in Hawaii) and a Japanese woman was going to take a picture of three Japanese men. She had an SX-70 Polaroid and the guys were talking and laughing and didn't notice that she was looking into the lens and not the viewer. I walked up to her holding up my hand and they got a serious look on their face, so I just took the camera and spun it around. The all laughed and bowed in thanks. Maybe she was trying to take an extreme close up. Once I also took some pictures of my neighbor with his little kid on his shoulders. Then I realized I had no film in my camera. (Come now guys, like these things never happened to you.) Ric.

10. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok. Quick quiz. Which is worse? Loading the film backwards? Or double exposing the whole roll?

11. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Backwards film for sure...double exposures can lead to happy accidents

12. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1
    Double exposures aint bad.

How did you realise this, btw?

13. nateo200

nateo200 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not realizing you have to run the film into the right side spool on a 35mm your first time...oh that wasn't a choice? :D Yup I shamefully admit to that but to my defense I tend to pick up things with no outside help and teach myself....When I got my first 120 camera I kept saying to myself "Don't screw this up or the developer is going to think your an idiot!" when I got the roll back unscathed I was so happy!

14. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You should detect it when you thread the take up spool and wind on to the start matkers - the wrong side is out.

15. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The impression I get is that, the OP has detected after closing the film back.
    With most good quality re expensive side films, it's pretty clear, shanghai makes you insert roll upside down for film to come out right.

Sent from Tap-a-talk