opening a file

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Peter Schrager, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm trying to get a SCSI scanner I bought to work with my computer. So far so good but when I go to download a trial version of Vuescan Mozilla tells me it doesn't know what to do with this. I have a box where I can click "open it" and then a blank fill in box. HELP PLEASE!!!
    Peter

2. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's probably because Moz does not know what to do with .EXE files. Do a right-click (I'm assuming a Windows box here) and select "Save Link As... "

Cheers, Bob.

3. Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    DUH?

OK I got the program to load but it's telling me that I have no scanner attached
    The scanner is an older Agfa Acrus and the guy said it would run on windows-but now I'm thinking if the program says no scanner attached -well it might only run on a mac (?)Sorry for ignorance but this scanner will do up to 8x10 negatives. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Peter

4. TheMissingLink

TheMissingLink Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    on one hand you have the PC/Mac-desaster ... on the other:
    Have you properly installed the SCSI-Interface-card? Means installed in the right order ... the connection between scanner and SCSI-out? Don't laugh but ... power supply of the scanner?

can you see the SCSI-controller in "Settings" - "Control panel" - "Hardware manager"?!

If yes, what about the properties? Does it tell you something like "no driver installed" or sthg else like this?

Win98 or 2K or XP?

Horst

5. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are the SCSI card drivers loaded? Are the scanner drivers loaded? Use Device Manager to make sure the SCSI card is detected. Ditto that the scanner has been detected plugged in to the SCSI card. Have you fitted (and does either end require) terminators?

Good luck - you will need it... SCSI can be a real pain... Long live USB and Firewire plug&play! :wink:

Cheers, Bob.

6. Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    OK

Horst the Vuescan is supposed to act as the driver I thought. OK so where does the interface card go? I need to get one I suppose. Missed that part of the hookup. Otherwise all the other questions are a big NO so far. I do have the disk that came with the scanner Maybe I should just try to run that-but I'll still need the interface card first right?
    Peter

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Follow Horst's instructions--SCSI card attached? Present in Hardware Manager with a working driver?

And then, be sure the SCSI chain is terminated. If the only device attached is the scanner, you may need to set a dip switch to terminate the scanner or attach a SCSI terminator to the open SCSI connector on the back of the scanner.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, if you don't have a SCSI card, what are you plugging the scanner into?

9. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me guess : the printer port?

Cheers Bob.

10. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SCSI can be very confusing on the Windows machines, as most windows machines did not have a card install as a factory option, Mac's came from the factory with a SCSI interface, and now a days, the SCSI is not a common interface card at most stores, I have picked up several on ebay, due to the scarcity in the stores, normally about $12.00 each, make sure and go to the website of the scanner company and find out which cards are compatible with the scanner before making a purchase, because some cards will not work with some scanners. Also make sure and get a card with the correct connection, there are a few different connections for SCSI, most likely you will need a DB50 Centronics connection, or a DB25 Connection, which is the same as the printer port on PC based machines. The card will have to be plugged into one of the expansion slots inside of the computer, also make sure that you get a PCI card, there are still some of the older ISA cards floating around, most of the newer computers only have PCI slots, then turn the computer on, and Windows should detect the card and either install the software for windows, or it may ask you for the windows disc, depending on the version you are running, once windows does its thing, you will need to install the vuescan software, also, you have to make sure the scanner is turned on BEFORE you turn the computer on, so it can detect the SCSI chain, another thing to be aware of, is you will need to make sure the SCSI ID is set correctly on the scanner and the card, they need to have different ID's, in addition, make sure you have the SCSI terminator in place on the scanner so the SCSI chain is terminated correctly.

11. Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Boy you guys are good

OK- so I DO have the SCSI+Raid contollers installed. I should run the driver disc next I suppose..... I just thought that's what Vuescan does. Am I wrong in assuming this?
    Peter

12. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you need drivers for the card itself. Then you need drivers for the scanner itself and then, finally, Vuescan. Vuescan will talk to the scanner drivers and the scanner drivers will talk to the SCSI drivers (or is it the other way around.... getting confused already... see what SCSI does to an easily affected mind!)..

Cheers, Bob.

[edit] Hang on... RAID??? Are you running RAID and using a two-channel RAID card to plug the scanner in to as well? If so, the drivers for the card will already be installed.

13. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doh!

14. Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So far behind the curve

Thanks everyone-satinsnow,Bob,Horst,David-you guys are really nice to try and help this misguided person (Me) I have an epson and yes I'm starting to understand what the pleasures of firewire are all about. It does good scans but only up to 2and 1/4 inch negatives. I only paid $5 plus shipping for the Agfa so if I can get it to work fine. Otherwise there are good places in NYC where I can go and do scans and one is using imacons. I'll just have to pay.
    That's the end of my SCSI day for now......you are all so generous and I mean that.
    Thanks, Peter Schrager

15. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I said, SCSI, can be very confusing, cause the DB 25 connections for printers and SCSI are identicle, again another area that can get real confusing is the SCSI ID stuff, just make sure they are set to different numbers, and the terminator, many SCSI items have termination built into them, but you need to make sure they are turned on, or it could cause interferance in the PC...

I agree with Bob F. USB and Firewire is far less complicated and easier to use

16. TheMissingLink

TheMissingLink Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And please don't forget the always nice faces to see when we discover two devices on the channel have accupied the same SCSI-ID;-)

Ho.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, Peter. The scanner must be turned on (powered up) BEFORE you turn on your computer or the computer won't recognize it.

18. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mentioned it had to be turned on Jeremy, in my long disertation on setting everything up..

Dave

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Oops, so you did, Dave, but it deserves to be mentioned again. I've used a SCSI scanner for over 2 years now and STILL make this mistake :smile:

20. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No biggie, I just happen to be from the old school on computers where we had to turn everything on before turning the computer on, hence I still do it that way, things are really different now, then they were when I was starting out!

Dave

21. Peter Schrager

Shooter:
    Large Format
    scanner

David and Jeremy-yes he scanner was ON the whole time. I have a next door neighbor who is an IT guy for GE and he's going to come over on the weekend to see if we can do this. Again to all of you so much appreciation. APUG is and hopefully will always have this spirit of helping out.
    Best, Peter Schrager