Opening Reception - The Colors of Night - Friday August 2, 7-10 PM

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews & Shows' started by TheFlyingCamera, Jul 19, 2013.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I’m having an opening reception for my exhibit, “The Colors of Night” on Friday, August 2, from 7-10pm at Mad Momos Restaurant, 3605 14th Street NW. The exhibit runs from August 2 to the end of October.

From the Mad Momos invite:

Mad Momos is proud to present photographs by DC area photographer, Scott Davis. Please join us for the opening reception to enjoy the photos, meet the photogrpaher and sip on complimentary California Champagne.

What is the color of night? It is indigo, it is fluorescent cyan, it is neon reds, yellows and blues. It is sodium-vapor pink, and glowing incandescent orange. It is all of the above, filled in with the colors of your imagination. It is the color of time slowed down, motion blurred, things and people half-seen through their background, perceptions distorted.

[​IMG]

I have been shooting a lot of night-time work both in black-and-white and color, for several years now. Photographing long exposures at night gives you a creative freedom to accept serendipitous happenstance in your work that you would reject if caught in 1/60th of a second. Blurred motion becomes a good thing. People become icons. Cars are ghostly, their tail lights and headlights reduced to abstractions and records of things that were, like handwriting on paper. Colors become incredibly rich and even more important, since sometimes it is only by color that you can define and understand an object. The mixed lighting you find in a photograph of a night scene changes our perception of mood in a way you aren’t aware of when you are there – your brain color-corrects light sources automatically so things look “right”, but capturing them on film, which can only record what’s actually there without interpretation, reminds us that we do in a manner of fashion walk through the world with rose-colored glasses.

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats!

3. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's wonderful. Congratulations to you. I love night photography and what happens during longer exposures. I hope you enjoy your exhibition and I'm sure others will enjoy seeing your work, too!

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've posted a lot of nice work along those lines here, nice to see it recognized. I hope the exhibition is a big success.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats!

I'd like to see you and jd callow do a joint show.

6. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Congratulations and good luck with the show.

7. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Cool, too far for me to make the opening but good luck with it! I likr night photography..

8. rbender

rbender Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Excellant Scott!!! Have a great opening.

9. mesantacruz

mesantacruz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Awesome, congratulations!!!

10. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats and have a wonderful show. :D

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ok- I'm almost scared at how well everything is coming together. I finished printing all my prints today (minor miracle, long story). Tomorrow, finish framing, then Tuesday, head over to Mad Momos and hang the show, set out the postcards, and post the wall blurb and price list. Got all the media contacts sent out Saturday morning.

12. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just a reminder if you're in the DC area this Friday night, the opening reception is at Mad Momos Restaurant, 3605 14th Street NW, from 7-10pm. I hope to see a decent APUG contingent there!