Optical Slaves

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by arigram, Jan 18, 2010.

1. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've seen many different optical slaves for flash units, but I am not sure which one to trust. After reading some reviews regarding cheap and expensive units, I am more confused that decided as they often are either negative or mixed.
    For example, this Seagull one
    [​IMG]
    is very cheap but is accused of not working most of the time.

I have Pocket Wizards and they are my main workhorses, but I only have two receivers and can't use more flash units as most handheld flashguns don't have have a slave mode. I've found myself in a collaborative photo session where we needed to control flashguns.

One last thing to note is that the unit should also have a PC input.

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've seen a lot of people using the Wien (pronounced Wine) slave units. They make a wide array of pieces - look on the B&H website to see if they have something you're looking for.

3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a couple of Wien slave units that have pc connectors that are reliable. Model#WHSD in th B&H catalog.

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the slaves your post photo shows. I buy them off the *bay every few years. I tend to fry mine from time to time when I pull out some of my old pack and head flash rigs. One I have runs at 580V on the synch cord, so that is likely why they die.

I was at the theatre taking photos of a production for a local troup last wednesday, and that was the night they seemed to act up. I ahve not yet had time to test them since.

Fortunately I had enough long synch cords and a 3 into 1 connector so I could wire the two flash packs directly to the camera, and still have a terminal to plug my manuall tripper into for making flash measurements to set the right aperture.

At the time I thought "This would be the time to say that I should have spent the money on the radio slaves."

5. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a set of OPUS studio strobes that came with a very compact OPUS slave unit. Have used it extensively for a couple of years and it has been faultless.

6. jtzordon

jtzordon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've used with wein slaves with no problems. No real heavy usage, though.

7. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you all, I'll check those units out. Although, they are rather expensive...