options for accurately cutting 120 and 35mm negs?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by wildbill, Oct 17, 2005.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What devices are cheaply attainable for making accurate cuts between 120 negs? I'd like something i can sit on the light table or something that's backlit already. I've already got scissors.
    I modified a pair of scissors when i was a loader to cut 35mm movie film across the holes in the dark. The arri BL4 and 35-3 magazines were easier to load that way. Anybody made anything for 120?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I suppose you could get a small rotary cutter, like a 12" Rotatrim, but why is it so hard to do with a scissors, and how precise do you need it?

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not hard but with most films but jandc classic 400 curls for me pretty bad. I've only messed up once and cut into the image area.
    Just because.

4. thedarkroomstudios

thedarkroomstudios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Put an eyelet or cup hook on the wall, hook your drying clip to this, pull it tight and start cutting at the opposite end (working towards the wall) this way you've eliminated the curl and the wall-hook acts as a 3rd hand to keep things straight when cutting. fwiw

5. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a problem until I got a very small pair of scissors. They used to be in my fly-tying kit (before I made my last "mutant moth").

Matt

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beside's scissors, does anyone have a cutter, maybe like the labs do?

7. Jarred McCaffrey

Jarred McCaffrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps some combination of a light box, a straight edge, and an exacto knife would work out for you.

When I worked in a 1-hour lab, we had a backlit guillotine type device to cut and package negs quickly. I swear that tool was the source of lots of scratched negs.

8. panchromatic

panchromatic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I agree with that scratches can occasionally occur... At the store I work at we use a similar thing, and I always put my negs in long sleeving before running it through it... we don't use it for 120, we usually cut those by hand with scissors.