Orangey toner?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Cheryl Jacobs, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm looking for a way to achieve a sort of terra cotta / orange tone on fiber paper. Any suggestions for toners / toner combinations / paper etc?

Thanks in advance.

- C

2. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try sepia then gold, I know that Ilford Warmtone will produce orange/red. I would think that Forte or Agfa would also produce similar results.

3. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Les, thanks! You're a fountain of knowledge. I've really been more or less "anti-toner" until recently, and now I'm enjoying the possibilities.

I'll give it a go. Thanks, again.

4. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try hypo alum then blue gold on Forte Ploygrade warmtone plus. You will get an interesting orange/red.

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Or you could try the yellow titanium toner in the Colorvir kits. I believe the active ingredient is Titanium oxychloride. Gives very warm yellows.

Copper toning can give orangey tones, or FSA toning (which I intend to play with this winter).

6. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Berg Brown Copper toner can give an almost orange color with some papers. Additionally some nice effects (albeit not repeatable) can be obtained by toning in copper and redeveloping. The image tone will split out in some unusual and attractive ways.

7. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've tried copper toners and various paper combinations, and I generally just get varying hues of brown and pink. Typically I use Ilford fiber warmtone, and sometime Forte papers. I've never tried FSA. I'll add that to my list.

8. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is not strictly toning but...

Staining with tea can give anything from a creamy yellow through to a more orangey hue. Colour shift varies with the paper, strength and temperature of tea and length of time in the solution.

Note that this affects all of the paper i.e. the border will *not* remain white!

All the best,

Frank

P.S. Trust a Brit to suggest this one, eh?!

9. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second that tip about FSA-you can find all sorts of toning formulae in the Darkroom Cookbook. Also Tim Rudman wrote a whole book on toning-published by Argentum. Another possibility is lith printing-happy experimenting!

10. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    just a gentle reminder. Neither tea or copper is archival.

11. Lex Jenkins

Lex Jenkins Member

Tea is probably not archival for the paper substrate but the tannic acid is considered to be a useful hardener for the gelatin emulsion. No worse than alum, possibly better.

I've gotten some nice colors using coffee or tea on fiber prints but it looks awful on the RC prints I've tested. Looks like a dog peed on the prints.