Original Print & Reproductions Consideration

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Wally H, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Wally H

Wally H Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    For some time I have been considering producing just two original prints, one for sale and the other for use in inkjet / glicee / etc. reproduction. In pricing, I am considering greatly increasing the original's price from what I normally set now, and for reproductions greatly reduce the price. I would like to hear other's comments regarding this thought.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a well-established practice. Adams used to sell fine prints, silver gelatin repros, and offset posters for three different budgets. As long as you're up front about the nature of each product and the low-end market doesn't take away from the high-end market, I don't see anything wrong with it.

3. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you are considering making only 2 original prints, having them both made at the same time is probably the most economical. A good quality print and a second quality is alright but if only two will ever exist then I would prefer that both be of equal quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2005
  4. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I do something quite similar. It allows the 20 something crowd to afford a non-editioned print instead of forfeiting their rent.

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've started a series of posters to complement my Fine Art Stuff. I've attached the first one I did. It was done on an Epson 9000 (to keep the costs down), by West Coast Imaging. Size: 20x24

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2006