ortho 25, what developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by pierods, Apr 30, 2008.

1. pierods

pierods Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I bought a roll of rollei ortho 25, hoping I could shoot a few photos in high contrast, kind of like shooting on the beach at noon, with overexposed areas well burnt, flare, and all the goods. (high-res though, hence the slow film).

What developer then? Logically, since I do want contrast, I would just prepare a soup of id-11 1+3, but am I risking too high contrast, kind of like a photocopy?

Do I need the low contrast developers, docufine and so forth?

Any samples in id-11?

thanks

piero

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  2. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

3. pierods

pierods Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks!

4. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most ortho films I've tried were doing well in Rodinal 1+100 for about 11 mins. Any other developer that can be used at a high dilution should do the trick, HC-110, perhaps.

5. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My experience is with the Adox ortho film, which seems to be fairly similar to the Rollei. I really like Diafine for this film in cases where I want high but still more-or-less pictorial contrast; I've seen some *very* nice industrial still-lifes with this combination. The contrast can give a really strong "gritty" impression without the problem of losing detail in the grain.

For a more normal pictorial contrast, I've used Caffenol LC+C, since it seems to be the cheapest low-contrast developer in town. Someday (in my Copious Free Time) I mean to mix up a kind of "half-LC" version and see if I can get intermediate levels of contrast.

-NT