ORWO N75 Plus 400 35mm Film Test

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ic-racer, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got some ORWO N75 Plus 400 film yesterday. There are some threads on this film out there. I will mention that it is an inexpensive 35mm negative movie film with rotary process and still photography characteristics unknown to myself.

The first test shown here is a test of film speed. This is a test relative to fresh Tri-X. Both films were exposed with a Wejex Daylight sensitometer and processed together about 30 minutes after exposure. Processed in Jobo CPP2 6 min at 24C in T-max developer one-shot. Films read with a calibrated Tobias TCX transmission densitometer.

The speed of each film was determined and Tri-X was defined as "400" to see where the ORWO falls relative to that. A 'minimum gradient' film speed test was done, rather than a '0.1 fixed value' test to avoid having to create a series of curves for each film.

The results are in the following graph.

The ORWO is a fast film but it is just slightly slower than Tri-X. In terms of error of this method, I'm using a standard deviation of 0.3 DIN units per the paper by Nelson on W-Speed.

So that gives Tri-X a range of 27.3 to 26.7 DIN and ORWO a range of 26.7 to 26.1, so they almost overlap.

I'll say they are very close. Based on this I'll meter them the same.

This was not a development test pre say, but I can see that the ORWO does not respond as well as Tri-X to Tmax developer. I'll probably use a time that is 25% greater than my time for Tri-X.

SPECS: ORWO emulsion number N62-1, Roll 1711 25d, Box speed 400 daylight, 250 Tung.

[​IMG]

2. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for performing these tests. I look forward to seeing some images from this film.

3. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Well done IC-racer!! Thank you! You are right! ORWO needs more developing time. It's Dmax is only 1.3. Even more than 25%. I'm looking forward to try slower ORWO film. I hope very soon.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I interpret fog level as an indicator of how long film as been sitting around before I buy it. My Tri-x (100ft) came from a refrigerator at a local dealer a few weeks ago and the ORWO came in the mail the day before the test. Results are as follows:

Film base plus fog:
    Tri-x = 0.33
    ORWO = 0.41

5. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Just to be fair, ic-racer, Kodak is Kodak and TRI-X is one of the best films ever made. Under no circumstances I can't except those two films to be direct competitors. I haven't use fresh ORWO in more than 18 years and I'm looking forward to try their new emulsions.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although that Tri-X was fried a little (gamma was around 0.9) that ORWO looks like it has a straighter curve. I'm keeping an open mind. All I know is that ORWO wants to be your 35mm film supplier and Kodak, well I don't know that they want...

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is a curve for OWRO N75 processed a little longer to more closely match the slope of the Tri-X. In this case the films were processed individually, but the other conditions were held reasonably constant.

The two film curves look very similar. Speed is very close.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
  8. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great to see some data, (especially since I have a roll of the stuff on order.) how is the grain?

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At 6 minutes the grain is very similar on both test strips. With 8 min on the ORWO the grain is slightly more pronounced than the TriX at 6 minutes.

10. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi Guys,
    I did my first film run with new ORWO UN-54 developed in Agfa Rodinal 1:50.
    2011-ORWO-UN54-2-C1.jpg
    Also, there are few more pictures on my Flickr

11. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi IC Racer, did you have a chance to use ORWO UN-54 and did you make any enlargements or scans from your test of N74 so far? I processed just quick test with N74 in Rodinal 1:50 and HC10 (1:60). So far I didn't run any comparison tests yet with Kodak and Agfa APX100 films I'm using most often.
    Goran

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not yet, still working on the last of a 100ft roll of Tri-x. Probably only on or two rolls left. I'm anxious to try it out.

13. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anyone a starting point for ORWO UN-54 in XTOL?

16. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi kb3lms,
    With UN-54 I used original Agfa Rodinal 1:50, 20C, 13min (2 inversions each minute) but I fell it can be bit shorter next time, 11.5min or so. Highlights look little bit dense but it scanned beautifully on my scanner.
    With HC110, I used Dilution H (1:3+1:15) 7min 20C (2 inversions each minute) and this one also can be shorter, next time lets say 6min.
    I hope you can figure your starting points from there.
    I'm planning to try it with Xtol 1:1 in next few days.
    Stay tuned!

17. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks! I am anxious to try it out but I am a little slowed down with my busted foot keeping me out of the darkroom. :sad: Maybe tomorrow I can rearrange enough stuff to let me hobble around in there.

18. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How well would you think it would perform with reversal?

19. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where did you get the film?

20. pschauss

pschauss Member

13 minutes is way too long for UN-54 in Rodinal 1+50. Try it at about 8 minutes.

21. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi pschauss,
    You are right! It's to long. I did another run or UN-54 at 10min with Rodinal 1:50 at 20 and it can be shorter to. So I'm getting closer to your time. My starting point was APX-100 and I run that film 12.5 or 13 min in Rodinal.
    My last run was in Xtol 1:1 for 8min 20C and I'm very happy with results. Maybe I can cut it to 7min or less but also I would like to drop speed to 50 or 64 iso. Pictures are at:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjxscdGt

Hi mrred,
    You can order film here:
    http://www.orwona.com/b-w-motion-picture-camera-films/
    UN-54 has pretty clear grey base. Sorry, no densitometer here to give you B+F value. I did BW reversal processing years ago with EFKE KB50 and ORWO reversal recipe 9home made) it was very nice film for it. I don't think I will run another reversal processing with this ORWO stock.

22. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those are very nice images. To bad they ship with UPS, as they add $30 to do customs brokering. I will have to buy a bunch to make it worthwhile.

23. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Send then an e-mail. The film I bought was sent by USPS after I raised that point. The folks who are running the show seem to be quite accommodating.

24. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi mrred, Shipping with UPS can be tricky. If you pay lowest shipping price then you got punish by "brokerage fee", if you pay a few $ more brokerage is included in price. I'm always reluctant to do any business with them because of that. On NA ORWO web site they mentioned bad experience with Brooklyn postal office and that they need to find another one. My film was send by USPS. I'm sure they are flexible to arrange best possible and cheapest shipping.

25. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  26. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Home made rolls! Interesting! Thank you for the link!