Other HC-110 dilutions?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Michel Hardy-Vallée, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is the purpose of HC-110 dilutions other than A,B, G, and H for film development? It seems nobody lists times for dilutions C to F for any film whatsoever.

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, MHV,

I don't have a definitive answer to your question. I would speculate that dilutions C (1+19), D (1+39), E (1+47), and F (1:79) may have been used with some of the many now-discontinued Kodak films. I did not do a thorough search, but I did find, in a Kodak publication dated 1971, the processing time for Kodak Commercial 4147 copy film in HC-110D. There are possibly additional concrete examples to be found with a little searching. There's also no reason not to use some of these dilutions as you experiment with current films. I have tried, for example, Dilution G (1 + 119) for stand development of T-Max 100.

Konical

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a great many permutations for developer dilutions.

I cant say anything about HC110 as it is rare here in the UK, but Ilfotec HC is the equivalent.

So Kodak list D76 and other devs at FS, 1+1. and 1+3, I preferred 1+2 so pre computers used graph paper to get a starting point.

Using Rodinal for nearly 20 years I always found 1:25 far too contrasty prefering 1:50 for most of my negatives. But needing that boost for N+2 negs I settled on 3:100 which is not listed or recommended.

Now just use a spread sheet to obtain a starting point that will suit your needs.

To be fair Kodak used to maunufacture a far wider range of filns than their competitors and many films were being used outside their original intended market, ie Tech pan, so they came up with a great all roud developer (HC110) and had to list all the possibilties.

Ian

5. JonPorter

JonPorter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use HC-110 1:47 to extend development times a little. I also use 1:94 with reduced agitation for contrasty scenes, though I like the results so much that I might start using it for all development. Right now I'm mainly shooting 35mm Tri-X at EI 250 or 1000, and Agfa 100 at EI 125.

6. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use E occasionally, although "flavour of the month" is Rodinal... Otherwise, B.

7. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

Does anyone, have a development time for
    Neopan 400 (@400)
    APX100 (@100)
    in HC-110 dilution H ?
    TIA,

Marc.

8. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your insight!

9. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HC-110

After experimenting with dil B for a while, I now stick to 1:51 and dev for 6.5 or 7min @ standard temp/agitation. This works for Neopan400, Tri-X, Acros, and I can easily print on grade 3 paper.

Rolleijoe

10. MikeS

MikeS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's my understanding that some of the 'official' dilutions of HC-110 were designed as DK-50 replacements, one for DK-50 stock, and one for DK50 1:1 but I don't recall off hand which is which.

-Mike