'Other' warmtone papers?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by hoffy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy,

Since I have been printing, I have been very limited in the papers I have used - basically, its been pretty much Ilford, except for trying some Arista EDU recently.

My favourite paper thus far has been the Ilford Warmtone (RC in Perl). I would like to give some other warmtone papers a try, this time in Fibre. What are peoples thoughts on other warmtone papers that are available? What would be a good substitute to Ilford?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  2. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For regular printing I use Ilford Warmtone, but Forte also has a nice warmtone. The forte material can't get the extremes of contrast as well (if that is important to you) and tones much more vigorously. I think it looks better untoned than the Ilford looks untoned......I always at least selenium tone so this isn't important to me.

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Foma makes its 131/132 Fomatone Classic emulsions. Warmer than Ilford.
    Foma makes the 531/532 with a 'natural' base as they call it. As far as I understand it, the emulsion is the same as 131/132, but the base is different.
    Seagull has its warmtone emulsion, which I haven't tried myself.
    Beyond that I scope Adox Variotone Warmtone. I have no idea what this paper is, but that's a third alternative.

That's all I can find in warmtone papers anymore.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adox MCC is a warmtone paper, you've missed that one Thomas. Agfa MCC was my main paper for many years I only stopped using it because Agfa ceased making films & papers.

The warmth of all warmtone papers is easy manipulated with development controls, shorter exposures and longer development shifts towards cold, longer exposures and short development time or more dilute developer extent the warmth significantly.

I've still got a couple of hundred sheets of Forte Polywarmtone but my choice in it's place would be Fomatone MG Classic 131, or at a push Ilford warmtone FB.

Ian

5. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use Oriental WT. It is warmer than Ilford.

6. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last I looked Freestyle still has a few boxes of Salvich warmtone, I bought a box of grade 2 8X10 which I am happy with. I found a supplier in Washington who says they will carry Salvich.

7. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Pray that Adox will bring back Polywarmtone as well.

8. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another + for Oriental. It's got a nice look to it that you'd like if you like Ilford's look. Its QC is also great too.

Don't forego Ilford's warmtone in FB, either. Not sure how it looks, if any difference, between the RC version (which I haven't used) but it's stellar.

9. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could have fooled me by how neutral it looks. Do they really market it as a warmtone paper?

10. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's marketed as Neutral to warm black. But MCC was Agfa's warmtone paper in the last few years they made papers.

If it's anything close to Agfa MCC then it's capable of good rich warmtones. Agfa MCC is very responsive to developers and with a good warmtone developer and the right exposure/dev times gives wonderful warm tones it was close to Record Rapid which it replaced although not as warm as the older Record Rapid which had cadmium in the emulsion.

Warm tones can be deceptive and sometimes people don't realise what the tonal colours are like until you put a print alongside a true neutral toned paper.

Ian

12. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd call MCC 110 warm-neutral, a little warmer than say MGIV when developed in a neutral developer. But it's a subjective thing.

13. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree that Adox MCC 110 is balancing between neutral and slightly warm. It is warmer than Ilford MGIV but not quite as warm as the old Agfa MCC 111 . Recently I tried a a few sheets of Berger Variable CB , Warmtone in Adox Adotol liquid WA ( Warmtone developer ) and it gave a realy wonderful warm feeling with deep blacks and still an almost neutral white emulsion on the edges. It is available at Fotoimpex in Berlin and hopefully also through other sources. It is quite expensive, but for the right pictures I think it can be worth a try.
    I have tried Ilford MGWT but that was from right after the paper was introduced. I thought that the emulsion was just a bit to creamy for my taste, but I have read somewhere that it has been changed. Right now I am awaiting a new delivery to see how it works.

Karl-Gustaf

14. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    +1. Ilford MGFBWT is very different from MGRCWT. If you haven't used the FB version, think of it as an entirely new paper and try it along with whatever other papers you're considering.

15. Pat Erson

Pat Erson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    "Beyond that I scope Adox Variotone Warmtone. I have no idea what this paper is, but that's a third alternative."

This one's being made by Harman/Ilford if I'm not mistaken...

16. CuS

CuS Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try Slavich Bromoportrait 80 = I use teh #3 grade - very nice and tones brilliantly!

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread is not about how a paper tones rather the natural tones of the paper created during development.

Ian

18. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your opinions. I will probably get some Oriental for now

How does the Bergger range rate?

19. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adorama has a house brand of fibre paper of which the matte has a gentle warmtone, I don't think they market it as warmtone but they do indictate it is warmer than the glossy version.
    It is also inexpensive so good for learning.

21. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whilst Adox MCC may be on the cool side of warm its response to gold toner suggests that it is a chlorobromide with bias towards the chloride end of things. I tried toning some Slavich unibrom (a true cold tone paper) in gold and it did not exhibit any colour shift.

22. Barrie B.

Barrie B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Warm-tone papers .

Greetings Hoffy, As you live in Australia give "Foma" papers a try , Cheaper than Ilford (better in my opinion ) Chris Reid -Owner of 'Blanco Negro' NSW, Foma s only Australian distributor. Will require mail order , but if you order carefully the postage is still cheap when averaged over the order. Warm tone is available in both RC & Fibre base. Look-up the web-site for more info .
    ....Cheers Barrie B. Melbourne .

23. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've settled on FOMABROM VC VELVET VARIANT IV123 for now. It is as warm as I have seen, and develops fully in LPD 1:3 in 2 to 2-1/2 minutes with rich full blacks, smooth mid-tones and highlights. The paper base is white, not off white or yellow or cream, etc. It is not as heavy a paper as the Ilfords and I find it needs about 15 more CC's of Magenta filter at each grade than they suggest.